Home
I inherited a full 6lb white jug of surplus unique. Looks and smells good but t I understand the burn rate is going to be slightly different than the commercially available unique. Im thinking of trying 7gr in a 45colt behind a 250gr LRN in my 454 casull Blackhawk. Just kinda see what it feels like as im very familiar with 8-9gr of regular unique behind that bullet. Am I on the right track here or should I fertilize the shrubs with it?
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Military surplus unique? - 01/16/22
Sure start there but expect to end up in normal Unique range the last version.
Posted By: dla Re: Military surplus unique? - 01/16/22
No such thing. Bullseye was used in 45acp, but I'm not aware of the Military using Unique.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Military surplus unique? - 01/16/22
Originally Posted by dla
No such thing. Bullseye was used in 45acp, but I'm not aware of the Military using Unique.

Never say no such thing.
2 loads for 230 grain ball 45 ACP developed for military use are attributed to Julian Hatcher, Bullseye and Unique. There was also a powder designated SR80 that was used.
Posted By: 100grNP Re: Military surplus unique? - 01/16/22
Well 8.5gr of the powder labeled "military surplus unique" behind a 250gr LRN proved to be a outstanding load. Tiny little 25yd groups and the fired cases fall easily out of the cylinder. With 6lbs of it on hand looks like I've got enough for about 5000 rounds.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Military surplus unique? - 01/16/22
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by dla

Never say no such thing.
2 loads for 230 grain ball 45 ACP developed for military use are attributed to Julian Hatcher, Bullseye and Unique. There was also a powder designated SR80 that was used.

SR-80 was the predecessor of SR-4759. A powder made in relatively large diameter, but stubby, stick form. Primary use was in reduced loads in large capacity cases. I guess it could've been used .in .45's but I can think of a lot of much better powders both then and now.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Military surplus unique? - 01/16/22
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by dla

Never say no such thing.

SR-80 was the predecessor of SR-4759. A powder made in relatively large diameter, but stubby, stick form. Primary use was in reduced loads in large capacity cases. I guess it could've been used .in .45's but I can think of a lot of much better powders both then and now.

Hatcher/DuPont loads 45 ACP/Auto Rim

200 grain bullet 10.5 grains SR80 for 900 fps
230 grain 8.6 grains SR80 for 807 fps

Seems though that there was a powder from DuPont 3RSQ that was the primary 45 ACP powder 1913-1921.
CotW lists SR7970 and HPC 1 as being used in .45 ACP also. I have no idea if those were canister or non-canister.
© 24hourcampfire