Home
Posted By: mjones59 .38 special reloads - 04/20/22
Yesterday I was reloading some .38 specials with a mixed bunch of brass some
of unknown origin (no clue). While installing new primers I had a case that wouldn't
let the primer seat, the primer pocket was to big, like a large pistol primer was needed ?
I set it aside and continued only to find 6 more just like it. The head stamp read
"38 special Super Speed" I looked it up on Google and the only entry stated armor piercing ?
Any ideas ?
Thanks
Posted By: zcm82 Re: .38 special reloads - 04/20/22
That is most likely extremely old Winchester brass. Super Speed was a marketing gimmick back in the 30s or 40s. The loads were still just 158gr lead bullets. I've seen a few boxes of it floating around at gun shows.

Not sure about the primers, I've never actually opened a box and looked. Try measuring the pockets, a small diameter should be around .175" and large is right around .210", give or take a few thou.
Posted By: TheKid Re: .38 special reloads - 04/20/22
Early 38/44 loads and 357 were loaded with large primers. Very scarce and haven’t been made that way since the late 30’s.

The 38 Hi Speed was a high pressure 38 Special load intended for large frame revolvers like the 38/44 S&Ws, Colt SAA, New Service and I believe their “41 frame” revolvers were rated for it as well. It was available with several different bullets including a pointed “metal piercing” load intended for shooting through car bodies. More commonly it was loaded with a 158 RNL at 1050-1100fps.
Posted By: mjones59 Re: .38 special reloads - 04/21/22
Thank you guys, that makes sense.
© 24hourcampfire