Home
Posted By: devnull Powder Coated LSWCHP? - 05/14/22
Does anyone offer the old 158 gr lead, semi-wadcutter, hollow-point in a powder coat? I'd like to shoot these without dealing with all the leading issues found with soft, swaged lead bullets?
Posted By: mannyspd1 Re: Powder Coated LSWCHP? - 05/14/22
I haven't found what you are looking for. The next best thing Ive found are these, soft lead so they expand and gas checked. Virtually no leading in a Smith 327 and a Ruger Blackhawk, mid range loads at around 1100 fps. You might want to try them, I like them.

https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/g-ch-38-357-158-gr-swc-hp-per-100-in-a-plastic-ammo-box.html

Manny
Posted By: Dinny Re: Powder Coated LSWCHP? - 05/15/22
Rimrock won't sell their bullets without being sized and lubed. I recently bought some, stripped the lube with Xylene, washed them, and PC'd them myself. The Xylene made it really easy.

GT bullets will sell naked bullets. You may want to consider coating them yourself.
Posted By: TooOldToCare Re: Powder Coated LSWCHP? - 05/23/22
Try Penn Bullets.
Posted By: shootem Re: Powder Coated LSWCHP? - 05/24/22
Not HP but coated SWC 158gr. Missouri Bullet Co.
Brinnel 12

Brinnell 18
Posted By: Futura Re: Powder Coated LSWCHP? - 06/12/22
Originally Posted by shootem
Not HP but coated SWC 158gr. Missouri Bullet Co.
Brinnel 12

Brinnell 18

Anyone tried these? I’d like to pick up some in bulk. I’ve shot Hornady 158 SWC and 148 HBWC and they are kind of smoky in an indoor range. Do the coated ones work well and what hardness is preferred for softer shooting target loads? I’m guessing BH 12.
12 for sure, the Hi-Tek takes care of the leading problems.

Smoke and crud is almost all from the conventional lubes used, the various coatings prevent that. Some have a rather distinctive smell.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Powder Coated LSWCHP? - 06/13/22
I ordered the 12 and use about 4-4.5 gr of W231 or Universal in a .357 case. Not HP though. I bought 500 of RNFP and 500SWC. Both 158 gr and powder coated.
Posted By: shootem Re: Powder Coated LSWCHP? - 06/14/22
The Missouri bullets have a crimp groove but no lube grooves like some coated bullets retain. Is this enough extra bore contact to be concerned with? I’ll probably end up loading .38 Special with the SWC at near max standard pressure if I can figger what that is. Have Bullseye and PowerPistol to work with. Have a few .357 brass left I might load with either Blue Dot or AA9. Thinking the Brinell 12 should work there too. Or I could just go B18 for both. Only cast loads I’ve done have been 148gr coated wadcutters in .38 Sp so recommended loads are appreciated.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Powder Coated LSWCHP? - 06/14/22
I have loaded a lot of 38 SP with 3 gr of Bullseye years ago. The old Lyman Manual from 1964 shows a 158 gr or 148 gr cast with Bullesye in a 38 sp is 3.5 gr max. It does not show hardness though. It shows 4.5 gr max for a .357.

I don't know how PC would work, but I always heard hard cast bullets pushed too slow would cause leading at forcing cone.Since you are contemplating near max, probably should not be a problem though.

I have used the Missourui bullet with only a crimp grove with no problem
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Powder Coated LSWCHP? - 06/15/22
Not a HP but I've shot a lot of these.

https://www.badmanbullets.com/Onlin...357+Caliber+158+Grain+SWC+Polymer+Coated

Really good bullets
Posted By: TenX Re: Powder Coated LSWCHP? - 06/15/22
I don't shoot coated bullets. Never could figure out why I needed them. I shoot thousands of rounds of swaged bullets in 45 acp and 38 special and never have had a leading problem. Also, I shoot soft cast rifle bullets cast 30-1 in single shot rifles, no problem. My bullets always fit the barrel, no gas checks.
Phil
Posted By: Dinny Re: Powder Coated LSWCHP? - 06/16/22
Once you go coated, you never go back.
© 24hourcampfire