Home
Posted By: leemar28 Green Dot powder - 09/30/22
I picked up a 15 lb keg of Green Dot. I have one manual with data for .38 spcl , and 357 mag. Does anyone have data for a mid-range .41 mag ? I have a lot of 215 gr swc
Posted By: mag410 Re: Green Dot powder - 09/30/22
[Linked Image]
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Green Dot powder - 09/30/22
Without looking at my burn rate sheet, isn't it close to Unique ??

kwg
Posted By: leemar28 Re: Green Dot powder - 10/01/22
Thanks for the print out mag410.
Between Bullseye and unique I believe
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Green Dot powder - 10/01/22
Green Dot is a little slower than Red Dot, and a little faster than Bullseye.

Fast to slow:
Red Dot, Green Dot, Bullseye, Unique.

I used some Green Dot for some 9mm target loads some years back. If I recall correctly, 4.0gr under a 115gr FMJ. Seemed to work well in the Glock 17.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Green Dot powder - 10/01/22
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Fast to slow:
#9 Red Dot, #16 Bullseye, #24 Green Dot, #45 Unique.

I used some Green Dot for some 9mm target loads some years back. If I recall correctly, 4.0gr under a 115gr FMJ. Seemed to work well in the Glock 17.

Fixed it for you.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Green Dot powder - 10/01/22
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Fast to slow:
#9 Red Dot, #16 Bullseye, #24 Green Dot, #45 Unique.

Fixed it for you.

I guess it depends where you look for the info.

QuickLOAD suggests the order I listed above.

I took a look at data published by Alliant, (page 11 on the link), and it has them listed from fastest to slower as: Bullseye, Red Dot, Green Dot, Unique.

https://www.alliantpowder.com/resources/catalog/2017/2017_Alliant_Powder.pdf
Posted By: mag410 Re: Green Dot powder - 10/01/22
Burning rate is not an absolute.

When used to load 12 gauge shot shells, the order from quicker burning to slower burning is; Bulleseye, Red Dot, Green Dot, Unique.

In the handgun data I posted above, you can see that in some calibers Red Dot makes more pressure than Bullseye with the same amount, and in some cases less, powder.
Posted By: buttstock Re: Green Dot powder - 10/02/22
Originally Posted by mag410
When used to load 12 gauge shot shells, the order from quicker burning to slower burning is; Bulleseye, Red Dot, Green Dot, Unique.

This was my understanding of burning rates.

Green Dot is an under-appreciated, and overlooked powder for pistol reloading.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Green Dot powder - 10/02/22
Well if the OP’s Green Dot was made within the last 5 years, none of that data is valid as they reformulated both in 17 or 18 IIRC on the dates. I use the same chart for Red Dot but I picked up 16 pounds back in 05-06.
So if it’s old style he should be safe, new style I wouldn’t bet my life on it as Alliant dropped a lot of pistol data do too more recent pressure data.
Posted By: mag410 Re: Green Dot powder - 10/02/22
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Well if the OP’s Green Dot was made within the last 5 years, none of that data is valid as they reformulated both in 17 or 18 IIRC on the dates. I use the same chart for Red Dot but I picked up 16 pounds back in 05-06.
So if it’s old style he should be safe, new style I wouldn’t bet my life on it as Alliant dropped a lot of pistol data do too more recent pressure data.

Hercules quit putting powder in 15 lb kegs in the late 1970's. The page I posted is from a 1983 Hercules edition. Alliant listed virtually the same data, just with PSI instead of CUP, until they started pushing their new wonder powders.
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Green Dot powder - 10/02/22
I use Green dot in 12 gauge, 9 mm, 40 sw, 45 acp, 38spcl, 357 mag, and it works very well
Posted By: Sam_H Re: Green Dot powder - 10/02/22
GD was the first powder I purchased to load .38/.357, .44, and .45ACP. That was 1970, and I bought a 16# keg. IIRC it was around $30-$35.......for 16#.

GD burn rate is very close to 231. That's why it works well in so many pistol cartridges.
Posted By: 16penny Re: Green Dot powder - 10/03/22
https://stevespages.com/410p_2_210.html
Posted By: DoubleRadius Re: Green Dot powder - 10/05/22
How does data for 210-grain bullets in a .41 chambering contribute to this thread?

Posted By: LeeC Re: Green Dot powder - 10/05/22
It does have a load with Green Dot, if you bother to look down..
8.6-8.7.
Not saying I would use it, but its there....
Green dot is a versatile powder..
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Green Dot powder - 10/05/22
Originally Posted by DoubleRadius
How does data for 210-grain bullets in a .41 chambering contribute to this thread?

Split the load between 210 and 220 or 8.5 max, but be careful.

Originally Posted by LeeC
It does have a load with Green Dot, if you bother to look down..
8.6-8.7.
Not saying I would use it, but its there....
Green dot is a versatile powder..

I wouldn’t do that. I use that chart for Red Dot in 41 mag. 8 grains with a 215 HCSWC gives ~1200 fps, and it’s a handful. As stated before Alliant dropped a lot of those loads, especially in the 41 mag due to updated pressure testing. Even put out a warning not to use Blue Dot in the 41.
I would start 7.5 and work up.
© 24hourcampfire