Home
I was given 22 pounds of these projectiles, assuming they are 45 acp? Just making sure that's what was given to me.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

What do they weigh?
How confident are you in your caliper's calibration?
Originally Posted by TRexF16
What do they weigh?
How confident are you in your caliper's calibration?

Assuming the .449 is the minimun?
So that's 183 grains if that helps with anyone else's answer.
.449 is really small. Can you measure a few other .45 ACP bullets with the same caliper and see what you show for them?
Rex
Almost looks like a 185gr xtp
Originally Posted by TRexF16
So that's 183 grains if that helps with anyone else's answer.
.449 is really small. Can you measure a few other .45 ACP bullets with the same caliper and see what you show for them?
Rex

Grabbed 4 more just to see.

I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. IOW I personally would load 5 of them and see if they are reasonably accurate.

Will a sized case hold them tight? If not try a different brand of cases, some are thicker than others.

One more thing, note on the SAAMI drawing that bullets are supposed to be .452 - .003, my understanding is that means they can be .449 and still be in SAAMI'S Spec. (If there is a real engineer out there, please correct me)
I think you'll find that the diameter is not uniform over the length of the shank. Measure close to the shoulder.
I think they should measure .4505" if they are XTPs.
If you can’t get enough neck tension, just size cases 1/2 way down, bell the cases enough to start the bullet, then finish with a light taper crimp and see how they work.
Originally Posted by navlav8r
If you can’t get enough neck tension, just size cases 1/2 way down, bell the cases enough to start the bullet, then finish with a light taper crimp and see how they work.
That doesn't make sense..
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by navlav8r
That doesn't make sense..

If the normal sizing and expanding process leaves the inside diameter of the case too large to give a good grip on the smaller diameter bullets, size the cases ( I said 1/2 the case length but you could FL size if you like…it doesn’t matter) but don’t use the expander. That will hopefully leave the case with a smaller inside diameter, which should giving a better grip on the bullet. You might have to slightly bell the cases to allow you to start the bullets and if desired, use a taper crimp IOT give a good edge on the case mouth for headspace.

I think that the poster wanted you to measure .45 ACP bullets of a known manufacturer, to verify the accuracy of the mic readings. We know that your mic says the mystery bullets are .449”.

I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. IOW I personally would load 5 of them and see if they are reasonably accurate.

shootem…….if they’re a concave base 1) probably bump up a bit, 2) not XTP. The look like some of the plated hollow points. Could be wrong.
Originally Posted by shootem

shootem…….if they’re a concave base 1) probably bump up a bit, 2) not XTP. The look like some of the plated hollow points. Could be wrong.

Looks like some Remington HP. Doubt they are XTP.
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by shootem

Looks like some Remington HP. Doubt they are XTP.

I think you are right as it doesn't have the shoulder like the xtp's have.
I think that it is a bullet made by Zoro, distributed by Rose Distribution.
Regardless, you could load them up for plinking ammo. Even if they're not terribly accurate and have some blow by from not filling up the bore all the way from being a bit undersize. Most loads I use for 45acp are closer to .451"

They'll still work for plinking.
I'd think about shooting them from a muzzleloader. 45 cal or a sabot from a 50.

Good luck, it's a weird one.
I wonder if they might be Sierra seconds? Sierra sells "seconds" or "blems" out of the company store, by the pound. I've picked up some pretty good bullets that way. 150gr. softpoints (.30) and 50gr. (.224") from them a time or two.

Again, those are sold by the pound out the side door. If you're located anywhere near Sedalia MO, maybe they're Sierras.
Originally Posted by DoubleRadius

I think that the poster wanted you to measure .45 ACP bullets of a known manufacturer, to verify the accuracy of the mic readings. We know that your mic says the mystery bullets are .449”.

That's exactly what I meant.
Rex
Load em up and try them. Might do better with a hot load that gets them to obturate.

Bb
© 24hourcampfire