Home
Posted By: Mannlicher New powders for me - 03/12/23
Stopped at a LGS in Florence AL yesterday just to look. Left with two pounds each of Lil’Gun and Longshot. These are new to me, but Hodgdon shows some interesting loads in .38 and .44 Mag
Posted By: tikkanut Re: New powders for me - 03/12/23
I picked up a test bottle of Longshot a while back......10mm & 200's

Also trying it out in 9 carbine with cast 148's

Hate the way it meters even with my Redding BR powder measure

Have to always buy powder online....nuthin local to pick from at all

Bought some AA #7 to replace the L/S when its gone...have #5 & #9 too
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: New powders for me - 03/12/23
I used Lil Gun in my 77/44. 300 grain WFN GCs just under 1600 fps, they was some killin' sumbishes.

Haven't used Longshot. Like Tikkanut, I'm using AA #7 in my 45 Super and 460 Rowland.
I’ve only tested Longshot a couple times, but it seems to produce very good accuracy. I plan to do a lot more testing with it.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: New powders for me - 03/13/23
Have more recently been loading LIL'Gun, Enforcer and IMR4227 and cast PB and GC in addition to my other .44 usual powders with very satisfying results.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: New powders for me - 04/08/23
I like Longshot for mid power loads in 44 and 38. It measures well in my Hornady progressive or from one of my rcbs or lee bench mounted powder dumps. Lilgun is great for full power 357 loads and 44mag loads.

Bb
Posted By: HeavyLoad Re: New powders for me - 04/08/23
I’ve used Longshot in 45acp+p loads.
Posted By: Cowboybart Re: New powders for me - 04/09/23
I use Longshot in 45 Super and 10mm both with heavies. Lil Gun is my go to powder for 450 Bushmaster. I'm gonna start using it in 50 Beuwulf too
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: New powders for me - 04/09/23
Didn't Lil Gun cause some problems in revolvers? I am thinking it burned hot and caused flame cutting on the frame. Anybody?
Posted By: EdM Re: New powders for me - 04/12/23
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
Didn't Lil Gun cause some problems in revolvers? I am thinking it burned hot and caused flame cutting on the frame. Anybody?

This is what Freedom Arms claimed with the 454 Casull.
Posted By: tomme boy Re: New powders for me - 04/12/23
Both lilgun and longshot are very erosive to your barrels. Don't shoot a lot of them. Strap cutting is not the only thing with these powders. Be very careful of the lilgun. When you see a vel drop, STOP!!!!!! Your about to blow the top off your gun.
Posted By: 351WSL Re: New powders for me - 04/12/23
I have never had such consistent velocity results as I have with longshot shooting a 10mm XDM Elite. I tried several others, and had good results accuracy wise, but the longshot would hardly have any variance in velocity over multiple strings. I was loading 180 Blue Bullets and 200 Brass Monkey Bullets. They are both NLG coated. I was not pushing them too hard. 180 at about 1225 and 200 at about 1175. Out of several strings of either 5 or ten, the velocity was only varying by about 10 - 15 fps from high to low. Needless to say, I was impressed. All were loaded on a Dillon 550 but using a RCBS Chargemaster light to drop powder. LiL Gun is impressive in my .45 Colt 16" Rossi Lever, but I usually stick with W296 or H110.

I order most all my powder or get it in Cullman, AL. We do have a new store here in Muscle Shoals that usually keeps a pretty good supply. Just curious as to where in Florence you may have been as it's just across the river from me. Southern Defense, Academy, or Cypress Creek?
Posted By: dla Re: New powders for me - 04/12/23
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Stopped at a LGS in Florence AL yesterday just to look. Left with two pounds each of Lil’Gun and Longshot. These are new to me, but Hodgdon shows some interesting loads in .38 and .44 Mag
Longshot is THE powder for 40sw if you want high velocity. It is also a great 20ga 7/8oz 1450fps powder. It is OK in 9mm, but it is too slow for standard 45acp. Excellent for 45 Super and 460 Rowland. A little too fast burning for 44mag if you want top velocity - might work OK for 44wussy loads.

I've only burned a pound of LilGun in 44mag. Gave the highest velocities and also warmed the revolver up faster than any other powder I've used. I did not see any forcing cone erosion.
LilGun is THE powder if you want high velocity 20ga steel loads.

Neither powder is suitable for 38spl imo. Both are way too slow for such low pressure cartridge.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: New powders for me - 04/12/23
Tennessee valley Armory, actually in Muscle Shoals. Nice place.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: New powders for me - 04/13/23
Originally Posted by dla
Longshot is THE powder for 40sw if you want high velocity. It is also a great 20ga 7/8oz 1450fps powder. It is OK in 9mm, but it is too slow for standard 45acp. Excellent for 45 Super and 460 Rowland. A little too fast burning for 44mag if you want top velocity - might work OK for 44wussy loads.

I've only burned a pound of LilGun in 44mag. Gave the highest velocities and also warmed the revolver up faster than any other powder I've used. I did not see any forcing cone erosion.

Neither powder is suitable for 38spl imo. Both are way too slow for such low pressure cartridge.

I really like Longshot powder for both pistols and shotgun. I've used a lot of it in fast 12 gauge money shoot loads. I know some guys are talking 9mm and 40S&W here and this is what I've been messing with the last couple days. Getting prepared for a bowling pin shoot in a couple weeks:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
First time messing with the 180gr JHP Zero bullet's in my 40, but they will work. If I decide to use that pistol. I'll probably just run the CZ 9mm.. I also use Longshot in my 45 ACP 230gr XTP loads as well.
Posted By: 351WSL Re: New powders for me - 04/13/23
Yes TN Valley Armory is the new location I was referring to. One of the guys there, Gentry, used to manage the firearms and hunting portion of Shoals Outdoor Sports. He was there a long time, and they shifted away from the guns and hunting to mostly ATV's and side x sides. I was glad when he and his partners opened the new place.

Chris in AL
Posted By: 351WSL Re: New powders for me - 04/13/23
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by dla

I really like Longshot powder for both pistols and shotgun. I've used a lot of it in fast 12 gauge money shoot loads. I know some guys are talking 9mm and 40S&W here and this is what I've been messing with the last couple days. Getting prepared for a bowling pin shoot in a couple weeks:
First time messing with the 180gr JHP Zero bullet's in my 40, but they will work. If I decide to use that pistol. I'll probably just run the CZ 9mm.. I also use Longshot in my 45 ACP 230gr XTP loads as well.

You should do well!
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: New powders for me - 04/20/23
Is anyone having issues with Longshot like tommeboy posted? I'd like some proof on that one. I just bought another pound of Longshot yesterday. Even though it will take quite a while for me to burn up what I already have. Pistola's don't take much powder.

Anyway, I am interested to hear if Longshot is actually going to damage a pistol. In my experience, it has worked extremely well in the 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP. Thanks
Posted By: zcm82 Re: New powders for me - 04/20/23
I've never had issues with either of them, just never gotten either of them to shoot all that well in anything, especially LilGun. Buckshot looking groups is about all I have ever gotten with that stuff. 🤷‍♂️ Longshot wasn't bad, but just not as good as other powders.

Only handgun powder I recall really ever having "issues" with is HS6, and that was consistent ignition problems across several different cartridges.
Posted By: dla Re: New powders for me - 04/21/23
Is anyone having issues with Longshot like tommeboy posted? I'd like some proof on that one. I just bought another pound of Longshot yesterday. Even though it will take quite a while for me to burn up what I already have. Pistola's don't take much powder.

Anyway, I am interested to hear if Longshot is actually going to damage a pistol. In my experience, it has worked extremely well in the 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP. Thanks
I didn't say anything because I was trying to be polite. Just about everything he said is BS.

The only thing remotely true is that the high nitro content of LilGun raises the combustion temperature and it has been documented to erode forcing cones in 50-65k psi revolvers. If you don't load for that class of revolver, you won't have a problem.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: New powders for me - 04/21/23
Originally Posted by dla

I didn't say anything because I was trying to be polite. Just about everything he said is BS.

The only thing remotely true is that the high nitro content of LilGun raises the combustion temperature and it has been documented to erode forcing cones in 50-65k psi revolvers. If you don't load for that class of revolver, you won't have a problem.

Thanks guys. I'm sure the OP will appreciate that info, as well as others here.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: New powders for me - 04/21/23
the OP isn't particularly worried
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: New powders for me - 05/23/23
I've never found a powder that can match Longshot in a 40 cal. Those two seem to be made for each other. I can run a 180 at 1150 with Longshot from a 40 and it shoots great. It's also great in a 10mm but 800x will out do it in a 10 if you feel like hand weighing each charge. I wish someone made a powder with the same burn curve as 800x that could meter better than corn flakes.

I used to hand measure and load some 800x in 44 mag loads when I was a broke student because that's what I had found on sale. I could get speeds close to the slow burning mag powers like h110 with about half the charge weight. I'd love a new improved 800x if it would meter but until then I'll stick with Longshot and be86. Power pistol is an awesome mid range load powder for magnums but it is flashy.

Bb
© 24hourcampfire