Home
Posted By: smallfry Power Pistol - 06/25/23
I was recently turned on to this powder and would like to hear from people using it. How do you like it? Seemingly it’s quite agreeable!
Smallfry
Posted By: dla Re: Power Pistol - 06/25/23
Hard to come by for the last 4 years so I don't use it anymore. Great powder, fantastic load range. Only downside is that it lacks flash deterrent.
Posted By: dogdoc Re: Power Pistol - 06/25/23
My favorite handgun powder for lead cast bullets. 44spl and magnum loads with 250 Keith around 1000 fps. Same with 357. Magnum 158 grain cast . Full power 45 acp with jacketed bullets works great. I seem to get very good bench rested 25 yard 5 to 6 shot groups with most loads. Usually 1.5 to 2inches. Sometimes better. I load a lot of it.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Power Pistol - 06/25/23
I’ve had good luck with it in the 9mm and 45 ACP. I see some flash with it too
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Power Pistol - 06/25/23
Originally Posted by smallfry
I was recently turned on to this powder and would like to hear from people using it. How do you like it? Seemingly it’s quite agreeable!
Smallfry

It is very "agreeable" for full house loads. I have used it in the 9mm, 40s&w, and 45acp.
Posted By: 300_savage Re: Power Pistol - 06/25/23
I like it a lot. Takes the place of Unique, and works way better through my measure. No flakes to get tween the rotor and drum. Brian Pearce's articles put me on to it, and I haven't looked back. My impression is PP is cleaner burning than Unique, another plus.
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Power Pistol - 06/25/23
Yeah, based on Pearce's articles I bought an 8 pounder a while back, wanted Universal but couldn't find any. I have used it in .380, 9mm, ..44 Special & ..44 Magnum; maybe a couple of others. It's Unique Improved.
Posted By: RipSnort Re: Power Pistol - 06/25/23
Excellent powder. Makes up really good .38 Spl.+P loads.

RS
Posted By: Earlyagain Re: Power Pistol - 06/25/23
I bought some during the older shortage when I couldn't get 2400.. I wound up using it for mid range 44 mag loads, 44spl, and 38 cal.. I like it quite a bit. I'll buy more if it's available when I need it.
Posted By: 300_savage Re: Power Pistol - 06/25/23
As many have said, finding Power Pistol, or 2400, seems impossible. They, and True Blue, are my favorites. Lucked out and found True Blue. In a pinch, it will do all I have to do., if not ideally, well enough So far have used it in .38 spl and like it a lot for 158 gn swc.
Posted By: Yaddio Re: Power Pistol - 06/25/23
I bought a pound last week. Maybe it's coming back on the shelves.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Power Pistol - 06/25/23
Originally Posted by Yaddio
I bought a pound last week. Maybe it's coming back on the shelves.

That would be nice. I have not seen any in about 2 years. I've been using a lot of longshot in place of it. That's been a great pistol powder as well.
Posted By: smallfry Re: Power Pistol - 06/26/23
In my area, primers and powder have been plentiful for a long time.
Posted By: Swamplord Re: Power Pistol - 06/26/23
got several cans before the scamdemic when Blue & Green Dot were AWOL, works great for fireforming 338 Norma based wildcats, haven't used it to load handgun ammo yet
Posted By: richj Re: Power Pistol - 06/26/23
45acp, 38 Super, BE-86 is similar with less flash but not avail either
Posted By: Hawkeye_Reloader Re: Power Pistol - 06/28/23
Very accurate 9mm powder. Also great for medium 44 special loads and warm 45 Auto.
Posted By: 01Foreman400 Re: Power Pistol - 07/02/23
I use it for 10mm.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Power Pistol - 07/05/23
I have not been able to find Blue Dot or Unique Since the 2020 election.

Fortunately our LGS has intermittently gotten in CFE Pistol, Power Pistol, HS-6, 231, HP 38, as well as 296 and Titegroup. I have managed to lay in an adequate supply of each.

Tomorrow, the plan is to use up a pound of PP in the 38 Super behind powder coated 140 gr cast truncated cone for a 1911 Commander.
Posted By: LNF150 Re: Power Pistol - 07/06/23
I just finished up reloading some more rounds for my 10mm using P.P. My .380 loves this powder too.

Just on a fluke but I found another pound of P.P. at Cabela's in KC late last year.
Posted By: FLPanhandle Re: Power Pistol - 07/06/23
I use it for 9mm & 38 Spl loads and it works great for me.
Posted By: wbyfan1 Re: Power Pistol - 07/18/23
Use it for my 357 Sig. Accurate and speeds a 125 Gr bullet down range in a very rapid fashion. Only downside is the muzzle flash it produces. At night or low light, you won't be able to hide from a bad guy.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Power Pistol - 07/18/23
I bought another 4 pounder last week. Since Unique has been tough to get and my supply has dwindled I’ve been using more and more PP. I find it very good in 32 Mag, 38sp, 44sp, and 45 ACP and AR. Meters a little better than Unique and gives a little more velocity.

This is 6 shots at 20 yards sitting position rested between my knees, 6.0gr under a 168gr Cramer SWC in 38 cases. 1050fps. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Power Pistol - 07/19/23
Originally Posted by 01Foreman400
I use it for 10mm.
That and BE86 never worked in my 10mm. Disappointed as I have 4# each.
Posted By: bearhuntr Re: Power Pistol - 10/29/23
Use exclusively in my 9mm loads. I wanted to bring this thread back to say Pwr Pistol works great in the 480 Ruger also. I use it in conjunction with lighter bullets like the Speer 275 and 325 grain Deep Curl. It is quite accurate in my Super Redhawk and very accurate in the 4 and 5/8" Bisley. Great for practicing with a purpose and they perform well as a black bear round over bait.

bhtr
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Power Pistol - 10/29/23
I’ve gotten really good accuracy and velocities in the 45 ACP and 9 mm. I noticed some flash when switching from Bullseye to Power Pistol loads in the 45.
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Power Pistol - 10/30/23
.380, 9mm, .44 Special & .44 Magnum, happy in all of them. Pretty much fills the Unique/Universal niche, what'd not to like?
Posted By: lc11 Re: Power Pistol - 11/24/23
I tried it once when I had the worthless 10mm to load for, performed well, shot softer than Blue Dot. If I could steadily find it locally, I'd keep it on hand, but I have enough Bullseye to last a lifetime.
Posted By: Idaho1945 Re: Power Pistol - 11/24/23
One of the more versatile pistol powders out there in both pistols & revolvers. I like it along with Longshot & WST for almost all of my guns for midrange loads.
Posted By: lotech Re: Power Pistol - 11/25/23
Powder Valley had 4 lb. bottles of PP in stock a few days ago.
Posted By: SS336 Re: Power Pistol - 11/26/23
Originally Posted by TheKid
I bought another 4 pounder last week. Since Unique has been tough to get and my supply has dwindled I’ve been using more and more PP. I find it very good in 32 Mag, 38sp, 44sp, and 45 ACP and AR. Meters a little better than Unique and gives a little more velocity.

This is 6 shots at 20 yards sitting position rested between my knees, 6.0gr under a 168gr Cramer SWC in 38 cases. 1050fps. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Beautiful revolver Kid! Great shooting. 👍
© 24hourcampfire