Home
Posted By: RoninPhx reloading - 06/16/19
something new to me.

i had loaded some .44magnum jacketed hollow points many years ago using a max load of 2400. i did not write down at the time herculese or alliant 2400. while everything seemed to indicate no problem in shooting them, the powder maxes are different today that then i decided to uncork them. Using my trusty rcbs impact hammer started to take them apart, busted the screw on cap to the rcbs hammer. email to them new one in the mail for free.

Interesting part tho as i slammed the hammer into a hard surface to take the bullet out, in some cases the lead center in the jacket just fell out.
never had that before. on some, they didn't fall out of the jacket, but you could see where they moved forward.
not a big deal, but that lead in the center is not anchored as tight as i thought it would be.
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: reloading - 06/16/19
Yep. I think Barsness wrote something about that somewhere, although it was in regard to rifle bullets? Seems if you tried to use them after pulling them, the groups weren't so hot.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: reloading - 06/16/19
i finished uncorking them today, you can see on some of the jacketed bullets where the lead center had moved forward, some just fell out of the copper jacket.
I am just gonna burn them up at tin cans at this point, don't think i would trust them for anything else.
i probably could of got away by shooting them, 240grain bullet, 22grains of 2400, which was the load with hercules.
alliant brought it down.
i will reload at 19 or 20 grains of the 2400
Posted By: Idaho1945 Re: reloading - 06/16/19
I would think that if you felt it was a safe load years ago it would be fine to shoot them. Also I'm guessing if it was that long ago it just about had to be Hercules 2400. Shoot them in a Redhawk & it won't matter anyway!!

Dick
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: reloading - 06/16/19
Yeah, I've had the lead core pop completely out of the jacket on the old Speer straight sided half jackets, never on the more modern designs. That is the mail reason I don't use an inertia puller if I can possible avoid it.
Posted By: ddixie884 Re: reloading - 08/26/20
I think I would have bought a Red Hawk and shot them up........
© 24hourcampfire