Home
Posted By: shootem Montana Gold Bullets .40 - 03/04/20
Still hoping to hear somebody else's recipes for .40 S&W and the 165 gr Montana Gold. They provide no load data whatsoever. I did some calculating and it appears the data for Speer Gold Dot matches pretty well. Max load from Speer is 7.8 gr with Power Pistol. When I got there i was getting a very slight Glock bulge and 1150 to 1160 fps. Dropped back to 7.6 and in my G23 everything looked good. Didn't chrono for speed but expect no large difference.

Also, I did an expansion test with a sample of 1. Using the 7.8 load I lined up 2 gallon milk jugs filled with water, backed them up with a piece of quarter inch plywood, aimed for the fat part of the front jug and cut loose a round from 6 or 8 feet. I remember a firehouse like stream of water coming at me like a sunami. After drying me and the Glock I examined the damage. 1st jug was destroyed. Second jug was busted up pretty well and the plywood had a hole in it about .50 cal. There were a lot of brass fragments in and around the remnants of the second jug and the jacket cup was laying by the plywood. The lead core hit a landscape timber with chicken wire on it the plywood was leaning against hard enough to leave an impression of a wire strand. The bullet core looked like a Gold Dot ad. Guessing they use a pretty hard alloy for the core and pretty much all brass for the jacket. Tried the same shot with a MK III .357 but that's another story. G'night y'all.
7.5 grains Hodgdon Longshot.
© 24hourcampfire