Home
I recently purchased an unfired 480 Ruger Super Blackhawk from a gentleman on the Campfire. I have purchased a few bullet options and would like to know what powder you have had the best luck with for those. I have purchased but not recieved some coated Missouri Bullet 340's RNFP Flat-based, and purchased and received some Speer 275 and 325 jacketed, and some Barnes 275's. If you've worked up a load with any of these bullets, what powder worked the best for you?

I do have some loads I will be shooting tomorrow. 275 and 325 Speer Deep Curl using 17-19 grains and 14.3 to 15.5 of Power Pistol for each respectively and some reduced velocity loads with Tite Group for the 325's using 9 to 10.5 grains. I found these recipes on line and printed them out.

I'm using Starline brass and WW Primers Large Pistol Standard and Magnum primers. I prefer not to use Lil Gun, even though I have 3 pounds.

The seller also had a Ruger sourced taller front sight he included, which those shooting the very heavy bullets might find would be a better sight. I doubt I'll shoot heavier than 340-370 but would this sight be Ok for the lighter bullets too, just by putting it lower on the target or critter? If so, I might have my 'Smith replace it.

Thanks!
RickyD,

I have not worked up any loads for my Ruger SBH Bisley .480 using lighter bullets, but I'll give you what I have so far, with the Cast Performance 410 gr. WFNGC, using IMR 4227, Starline brass, and WW primers. As far as the front sight goes, using this heavy bullet is no problem getting sighted in with the standard sight. You should be fine with whatever you decide to shoot.

I did try some loads using HS-6 powder, again with the CP bullets, but found extraction to be sticky, and not nearly as accurate as my loads with IMR 4227.
Good info on the sight and also on CP bullets. I've got some IMR4227. Thanks!

While I don't shoot jacketed in large bore revolvers, highly recommend Lehigh's 300gr solid copper Extreme Penetrators and their 330gr WFN with N110, H110/296 and 2400 for the Bisley .480s.

335gr, 355, 375 and 410gr cast all shoot well also.

As usual, work up your loads per your book and data resources for best performance.
Bighorn, I see you have posted on two different threads extraction issues with your HS6 load and WW primers (WLP?) I loaded that same charge, Starlins brass, 410 CP WFNGC, but using Federal 150 primers for my Ruger SBH Bisley 6 1/2 inch without any extraction issues at all. Accuracy in my gun wasn't terrible either. Go figure.

Byron
© 24hourcampfire