Home
Posted By: Sweets REMINGTON 500 series - 03/24/24
This is my modest,I'm sure, compared to many of you, collection of the 500 series. They include,

510 w/hang tag
511P
511X
550-1

I sold my 513t commercial AND military target rifles when I got out of heavy barrel rifles. Would love to find a smooth bore version.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Nice!!
Posted By: Troutnut Re: REMINGTON 500 series - 03/25/24
Nice collection
Posted By: iskra Re: REMINGTON 500 series - 03/26/24
Hi Sweets! Looks like considerably more than "representation" of the variations! Nice collection. That said, suggestion and request. The way I collect, often my knowledge areas quickly falls off the cliff when it comes to "other" models. Your Models 500 are exactly in that situation for me. Any chance you could offer a background on what the Model is, its history and 'place' so to speak in the grand scheme of Remington era production? Not just for me, but for a class of Fire members and others happening by out of curiosity. You're playing to the already acquainted as preaching to the choir. I'd like to know more, but where it takes seeking out and adding "collector expertise" all of us miss something of "without briefing" predicate to that nice display! Just a suggestion and adding 'if' there's a convenient Website simply to refer us to, that, with your expert's reference would be great!

Just a suggestion 'as convenient' with thanks for the Thread!
Best!
John
Posted By: Sweets Re: REMINGTON 500 series - 03/26/24
Hi Iskra. That is an excellent idea.

The 500 series was a line of rifles chambered in .22 short, long and long rifle. The were produced from 1938-1966. There were several variations.

510-single shot
511- magazine fed (5 and 10 round available)
512- tube fed
513- target rifle (heavy barrel, stock, target sights, modified bolt ect. Along with civilian and military training variations)
550-1- semi automatic

P & X models were available on the 510, 511 and 512

"P" models were available in all models designating a peep sight

"x" series in the above models from 1964-66 that included grooved recivers for scope mounting along with the new and improved NYLON (Remingtons new at the time synthetic stocked 22s) model sights.

They also made a smooth bore 510 single shot version, wich I'm on the hunt for.

These are excellent well built rifles that have proven to me to be very accurate. Just a great blued steel and walnut rifle.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: REMINGTON 500 series - 03/26/24
My first Remington, and my first rifle was a 511 Scoremaster. Got it Christmas 1962, and I still have it. It's one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned, and one of the last I would ever part with.
Posted By: blairvt Re: REMINGTON 500 series - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by Sweets

The 500 series was a line of rifles chambered in .22 short, long and long rifle. The were produced from 1938-1966. There were several variations.

510-single shot
512- tube fed
513- target rifle (heavy barrel, stock, target sights, modified bolt ect. Along with civilian and military training variations)
550-1- semi automatic

"x" series in the above models from 1964-66 that included grooved recivers for scope mounting along with the new and improved NYLON (Remingtons new at the time synthetic stocked 22s) model sights.

These are excellent well built rifles that have proven to me to be very accurate. Just a great blued steel and walnut rifle.

Shouldn't 521T be part of this? My first squirrel rifle.
Originally Posted by blairvt

510-single shot
512- tube fed
550-1- semi automatic

Shouldn't 521T be part of this? My first squirrel rifle.

You are correct. The 521 t was the junior target model with shorter barrel and length of pull. It was the only junior or boys rifle of the series.
Posted By: 338reddog Re: REMINGTON 500 series - 03/26/24
Also the 513 sporters 513S and 513 SA
They were not all blued walnut guns
They also made a nylon series. They were known as 10,11,12. They had a butter knife style bolt handle and the nylon series stock with the model x sights. I think there was a smooth bore also, however Im not positive on that.
There are a lot of variations and it would be fun to have the full collection. Thats was goal of mine along time back, I however lost interest in doing such and moved to a more eclectic collection style. Meaning what ever grabbed me at the time.
Edited to say I noticed you touched on the nylon series.
I forgot all about the sporter 513s. They are nice for sure. The NYLONs I don't believe are considered part of the "500" series , although they were similar. I too have developed a habit of collecting just what appeals to me instead of trying to have every one in a certain series.
Posted By: kenster99 Re: REMINGTON 500 series - 03/26/24
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Kinda nice wood on this one I have .
I forgot all about the sporter 513s. They are nice for sure. The NYLONs I don't believe are considered part of the "500" series , although they were similar. I too have developed a habit of collecting just what appeals to me instead of trying to have every one in a certain series.
Not sure if they are considered part of.. but they did use the same action and barrels.
I always considered them a sub category. They were only made a couple of years as I recall.
I had a bolt handle from one for a while. Wish I still had it.
Ken
What is the barrel marked on that one?
I think scoremaster.
Posted By: baldhunter Re: REMINGTON 500 series - 03/27/24
I have a couple of 552's
Posted By: JamesJr Re: REMINGTON 500 series - 03/27/24
510....Targetmaster
511.....Scoremaster
512.....Sportmaster
Posted By: Sweets Re: REMINGTON 500 series - 03/27/24
You guys are coming up with some nice ones. It's great to have a forum dedicated to all Remington.
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: REMINGTON 500 series - 03/27/24
Bunch of nice 22's right there.
Posted By: TheKid Re: REMINGTON 500 series - 03/27/24
The 550 used a floating chamber allowing it to function semi automatically with S,L,&LR ammo. I believe they also made a short only version.

Complete disassembly and reassembly of the 550 may drive one to drink and certainly requires long tweezers and much patience.
Posted By: 338reddog Re: REMINGTON 500 series - 03/27/24
The 552 models are nice rifles and I have one. They are not the same action as the 5 teen action.
The 550 does use the 5teen action with some changes.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: REMINGTON 500 series - 03/27/24
I wish I remembered the model designation of the one we had at work, but I have not seen it for three or four years.

It is a Remington smooth bore single shot, with that "beehive bolt". The stock was very plain hard wood without a hint of checkering on it.

The poor old thing has floated around a sugar factory and warehouse for fifty years. It had red paint dribbled over the stock, decades ago. 90 percent of the finish was gone from the stock, and most of the blueing from the steel. I badly wanted to bring it home and refinish the stock, but the paperwork with admin was not worth the hassle.

We used it with Winchester shot shells to eliminate pigeons, starlings, and other occasional pests which made it into the warehouses or manufacturing area.
Posted By: 338reddog Re: REMINGTON 500 series - 03/27/24
Sounds like a 510
Originally Posted by TheKid
The 550 used a floating chamber allowing it to function semi automatically with S,L,&LR ammo. I believe they also made a short only version.

Complete disassembly and reassembly of the 550 may drive one to drink and certainly requires long tweezers and much patience.

The 552 is very easy.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: REMINGTON 500 series - 03/27/24
I need to do that with my 60 year old 552. 😊
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I need to do that with my 60 year old 552. 😊
The one in my picture is a 1973 model.It had a good amount of gunk built up inside the receiver.After a little clean up,it looked like a new one.Hard to beat those older well made guns.
Posted By: blairvt Re: REMINGTON 500 series - 03/28/24
My 521T and 513 US property
Posted By: 338reddog Re: REMINGTON 500 series - 03/28/24
That is a nice pair!
Never had a 521, maybe someday
I have a 521T and a 513 T a couple of favorites.
Posted By: cs2blue Re: REMINGTON 500 series - 03/28/24
i have a 510 Made in 1940. It is my favorite 22 rifle. I have killed a truck load of critters/vermin with it. I have owned it for 30 years. if i could only have one 22 rifle the 510 would be my pick. Simple, yet deadly.
Posted By: Coton Re: REMINGTON 500 series - 04/04/24
I love the 500 series Remington .22's They can be extremely accurate. I lost my best friend and his girls gave me his 513s. We both enjoyed the series. I helped him find his 513s and his girls remembered and gave me his rifle.
Posted By: Coton Re: REMINGTON 500 series - 04/07/24
I like to fill my 550-1 with shorts. I think it is 18+1. I never shot it for accuracy with the shorts but it is fun plinking at the swingers.
Posted By: Rapier Re: REMINGTON 500 series - 04/09/24
A few of my 510s and 511s. I have a similar picture of my 512s but can not find it off hand. I have an X and a P as well plus a 513 T. Done a couple of customs on a 510 with a messed up barrel, cut off and threaded, can shoot pine cones at 200 yards, an amazing turtle rifle on my two fish ponds.

Posted By: 338reddog Re: REMINGTON 500 series - 04/10/24
512x
513T
513S
© 24hourcampfire