Home
Posted By: bbassi Looking for plug screws - 04/04/24
I'm trying to plug the front sight screw holes on a 700 and the 6/48 1/8 screws I got from Midway don't want to seat flush. I'm just wondering if there are any other options out there less than 1/8? Or do I just leave them empty?
Posted By: Bugger Re: Looking for plug screws - 04/04/24
Shorten the screws you got from Midway.
Posted By: bbassi Re: Looking for plug screws - 04/04/24
I want to be able to get them out and put the factory sights back on if I ever sell it, so how exactly do I shorten them without loosing the slot? They are almost impossible to hold onto as it is.
Originally Posted by bbassi
I'm trying to plug the front sight screw holes on a 700 and the 6/48 1/8 screws I got from Midway don't want to seat flush. I'm just wondering if there are any other options out there less than 1/8? Or do I just leave them empty?

A lot of guys just use black RTV. You use that, and you don't even notice it, yet it protects the threads, and is easy to take out with a pick down the road if you decide you want to put the sight back on.
Posted By: johnn Re: Looking for plug screws - 04/04/24
Assume they're bottoming out?
Maybe grind / file them down, wont be much fun, but can be done.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Looking for plug screws - 04/04/24
Brownell's used to sell plug screws, maybe they still do, worth a look.
Posted By: patberg Re: Looking for plug screws - 04/04/24
E-bay has all kinds of plug screws.
Posted By: WStrayer Re: Looking for plug screws - 04/04/24
Hold a magnet on the shaft of the screw driver and they will stay on there.
Posted By: steveredd1 Re: Looking for plug screws - 04/04/24
i use the wby brass plug screws
Posted By: gunzo Re: Looking for plug screws - 04/04/24
I want to be able to get them out and put the factory sights back on if I ever sell it, so how exactly do I shorten them without loosing the slot? They are almost impossible to hold onto as it is.

Shorten from the other end. Maybe find a 6-48 nut to hold them while filing.
Posted By: Coton Re: Looking for plug screws - 04/04/24
This will not help just information. I have seen plenty of Remington threads tapped very shallow. Hit up a local shop that sells new rifles and see if they have any cap type plug screw screws that where removed from new rifles they mounted scopes on. They might be a little shallower for you. 6-48 is a very common scope base hole size so they should work for your sight holes.
Posted By: johnn Re: Looking for plug screws - 04/04/24
Originally Posted by gunzo

Tiny screws are a PITA, drill and tap a 1/4" or thicker piece of steel 6/48. Put one screw in with it sticking out on the bottom a small amount. Put a second screw in to lock them both in place. File / grind as needed.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Looking for plug screws - 04/04/24
The local hardware store ( true value?) has
a drawer or two labeled "GUN SCREWS "
Various types of blued screws for scope rings
and other screws used in guns

Check your local stores
Any gun shop should have a supply from setting up customer rifles. The last time I needed plug screws I asked the gunsmith at the local Sportsmans Warehouse. He gave me a dozen.
Posted By: bbassi Re: Looking for plug screws - 04/05/24
Originally Posted by johnn
Originally Posted by gunzo

Tiny screws are a PITA, drill and tap a 1/4" or thicker piece of steel 6/48. Put one screw in with it sticking out on the bottom a small amount. Put a second screw in to lock them both in place. File / grind as needed.
I like this idea a lot so I called my favorite FFL to see if he would make me a jig since I know he has a 6x48 tap. He said he already has a jig made and I can use it no cost. Problem solved. Thanks boys!
© 24hourcampfire