Home
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Armed? - 05/12/21
Do you guys fishing offshore go armed in person or with them conveniently stashed? Just curious. Seems like it would be prudent to be armed to me. Mb
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Armed? - 05/13/21
Saltwater fishing is hard enough without a gun dragging your drawers down.

Storage is easy to access though.
Posted By: NYNY Re: Armed? - 05/13/21
Anyone who goes ANYWHERE unarmed is a fool.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Armed? - 05/13/21
Didn't mean to offend anyone. Never been on a saltwater boat or on any ocean and don't believe any of the MSM crap on tv. I didn't know and so I asked. NYNY I don't leave my house unarmed period. Just wanted to hear from someone like Lt who is in the business what is considered prudent. Mb
Posted By: 44mc Re: Armed? - 05/13/21
in 50yrs. of going out of the inlet have not been on a boat without a firearm on it .and never with just one kind . same inlet no more than 50 miles out
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Armed? - 05/14/21
Sorry if I misunderstood the question. The boat is always armed. My person, not so much.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Armed? - 05/14/21
Thank you for the answers. I have no idea of the hazards that is why I asked, hear about truck guns was curious about boat guns. Mb
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Armed? - 05/14/21
In the glove box. Wes with my sps101, after several trips I did have to pull it apart and clean it real good. Bre caught that shark on my little TLD5 reel.

Posted By: TheKid Re: Armed? - 05/14/21
I knew a little fellow when I lived in Alaska named Harry. He bought a J frame from us and carried it everywhere, everyday. He had us cracking up when he told the story of going on a party boat halibut charter and shooting his own halibut when the deckhand was tied up helping someone else. Seems it may have surprised the passengers and crew!
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Armed? - 05/14/21
Stx, that 357 pacify sharks ok? You eat a shark like that or what? Mb
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Stx, that 357 pacify sharks ok? You eat a shark like that or what? Mb

kills them fine, yes most sharks are good eating if bleed them out and get them on ice.
By the way Pat, that was when we took Bart's son and his friends this past summer.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Armed? - 05/18/21
When we're fishing the truck guns become boat guns. I have a 10/22 boat paddle that I've shot thousands of rounds through it at flying fish. Coming out of Port Fourchon one morning there was 2 coyotes on the west rocks, in just 3 shots there was none. There's also hogs and deer in the marsh.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Armed? - 05/19/21
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Do you guys fishing offshore go armed in person or with them conveniently stashed? Just curious. Seems like it would be prudent to be armed to me. Mb

Yes!
Posted By: jdollar Re: Armed? - 05/20/21
Why would I? No pirates in the FL Gulf and never heard of a boat jacking. Fish aren’t armed either......
Posted By: K1500 Re: Armed? - 05/20/21
Speaking from a freshwater perspective, boat launches and the drive to and from can often be sketchy, especially after dark. Even if you don’t need the gun in the boat, do you want to leave it in your unattended truck at the ramp? I’ve never had a fire, but still carry a fire extinguisher.
Posted By: Guthry Re: Armed? - 06/17/21
Armed
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Armed? - 06/17/21
Only carry on days ending in y.
Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: Armed? - 09/09/21
I always carry. Just gotta remember to take it off before going for a swim.
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: Armed? - 09/11/21
If I'm not actually carrying, I'm usually not more than an arms length away from a handgun, with few exceptions. When on the boat, its stored under the leaning post cushion. There's also a black and stainless 870 secured inside the console.
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: Armed? - 09/11/21
Originally Posted by jdollar
Why would I? No pirates in the FL Gulf and never heard of a boat jacking. Fish aren’t armed either......

How long you been fishing the Gulf...or was that sarcasm?
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Armed? - 09/15/21
I appreciate the response, no experience at all on offshore boating that's why I asked. Mb
Posted By: dpd Re: Armed? - 09/17/21
ALWAYS armed in the woods or on the water .... no exceptions.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Armed? - 09/22/21
It’s better to be safe than sorry. Hasbeen
Posted By: joes64gto Re: Armed? - 09/26/21

Carry an airweight S&W in my pocket even when surf/wade-fishing. Easy enough to keep dry with it in a zip-lock bag.
Posted By: Geno67 Re: Armed? - 11/11/21
Yeppers
Posted By: tuna Re: Armed? - 11/11/21
Late to the party as always. Grew up in South Florida and most of the fishermen/boat owners I knew then had “something “ on the boat when they went out. When the drug stuff really cranked up the late 70’s into the 80’s knew several that acquired Mac10’s. Ever catch a “square grouper” ? Never know who you might run into. Nowadays fly fishing here in Texas my 642 Airweight is my special friend.
Posted By: Lockhart Re: Armed? - 11/12/21
Been on many charters out of NC and SC ports. Never gave it a second thought and never asked or ever heard any captain or mate mention anything about weapons. Not saying there weren't accessories on the boats. I doubt most of the guys I fished with even owned a handgun or rifle. Six packs aplenty, six guns not so much.
© 24hourcampfire