Home
Posted By: Irving_D What’s your go to braid - 12/04/21
Going to be spooling a bunch of reels 30-80 lb braid
Posted By: paguy Re: What’s your go to braid - 12/04/21
Power Pro.
Posted By: Irving_D Re: What’s your go to braid - 12/04/21
That's what I was looking at a 1500 yards spool and a smaller spool for the smaller reels
Been using it for years on my halibut reels and it cant be beat.
Posted By: RickBin Re: What’s your go to braid - 12/04/21
Hollow? JB

Solid? PowerPro or MaxCuatro
Solid. 80lb. Is all we use for are big reels and it last's forever.
I’ve been buying bulk spectra online. It’s WAY cheaper and seems just as good. I spooled a couple of electric Downriggers with 1000’ of 200# Spectra each and I still have 1000’ left on the spool. I think 1000 yards was $50 and I don’t notice a difference between the other Downrigger braids.

I use bulk Spectra on my Downrigger reels as well….I think I’m using 60# braid on those reels. I love braid for Downrigger fishing. I can load up the Lamiglass 9’6” glass rod in the rigger and when it trips the hook is set since there’s virtually no stretch.
Originally Posted by Irving_D
That's what I was looking at a 1500 yards spool and a smaller spool for the smaller reels

you can get 3000yd spools, I got one of 65lb that I've severals off of.
you can get good deals on eBay if you look for them.
Posted By: VernAK Re: What’s your go to braid - 12/05/21
I gave up on Power Pro years ago but it may have been improved along the way. It had a rather loose weave IMO.

I switched to Jerry Brown Line 1 and consider it vastly better.
Posted By: Calvin Re: What’s your go to braid - 12/05/21
Jbraid seems to work fine for me
Posted By: RJY66 Re: What’s your go to braid - 12/06/21
Power pro.
Hollow: JB or Diamond

Non-hollow: Diamond (Momoi) or Suffix. The number of carriers depends on the braid size and usage.
I bought some Fins braid a few years ago at a sports show. I really like it.
Powe Pro
I’ve used 30lb TuffLine XP for years. The yellar one.

Always been happy with it. Holds up well, casts beautifully, and no issues holding knots.

Haven’t tried many others.
Posted By: jc189 Re: What’s your go to braid - 12/07/21
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
Hollow: JB or Diamond

Non-hollow: Diamond (Momoi) or Suffix. The number of carriers depends on the braid size and usage.

Me too
Posted By: Irving_D Re: What’s your go to braid - 12/07/21
I wasn't even aware of hollow core line or its applications until a week ago, but I like what I have been reading about it and I may end up dropping the money to get started with it. I dropped a lot of money on my reels I may as well go with quality line. Primarily I will be chasing Rooster fish, cubera snappers, groupers and tuna in Panama out of kayaks in Panama. If I'm am real lucky a sailfish or marlin may get hooked
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I’ve been buying bulk spectra online. It’s WAY cheaper and seems just as good. I spooled a couple of electric Downriggers with 1000’ of 200# Spectra each and I still have 1000’ left on the spool. I think 1000 yards was $50 and I don’t notice a difference between the other Downrigger braids.

I use bulk Spectra on my Downrigger reels as well….I think I’m using 60# braid on those reels. I love braid for Downrigger fishing. I can load up the Lamiglass 9’6” glass rod in the rigger and when it trips the hook is set since there’s virtually no stretch.

I ran one downrigger with braid and one with steel cable this year, just to see if there was a difference. Blowback wasn’t as bad, no “singing”, and I caught 20% more fish when using the same gear.
Posted By: Irving_D Re: What’s your go to braid - 12/12/21
Caught 20% with the braid?
Power Pro is on all my saltwater reels.
© 24hourcampfire