Home
Posted By: Irving_D Fluorocarbon to mono leaders - 01/12/22
I’m in the process of rigging up my reels and am new to the game. Usually all my saltwater fishing the gear is supplied. I decided to take the plunge and go the hollow core route. Currently 80lb line before I get to far should I go with just mono top shot or should I plan on attaching a fluorocarbon leader to the mono. The main fishing I plan on doing or the first trip I will be making is in Panama chasing tuna roosters cuberas and mahi. I’m debating just using mono top shot, or if it’s necessary to use a fluorocarbon leader
I'd just go fluorocarbon to the braid and be done with it. Don't see the need for a mono top shot. Fewer knots=fewer break offs.
Especially with Cuberas in the mix.......they are very leader shy on live bait. Tuna same.
Thanks, some of the research said that the fluorocarbon doesn't have the stretch mono has and you risk pulling the hook
Posted By: jc189 Re: Fluorocarbon to mono leaders - 01/15/22
Fishing for Cuberas I would go straight braid to a fluorocarbon leader. you dont want the stretch. You need to get them off the bottom quick. Everything else I like a mono top shot then fluorocarbon leader.
I lived in Belize for 24 years and we fished and caught plenty of cuberas and never knew what flurocarbon was back then!! Mono, sharp hooks on malin leader wire and the same live bait they eat. We only trolled for small tuna so cant comment on them.
Questions:

1) What length were you planning for your top shot?

2) What length do you usually use for your leaders on flat lines and off your riggers?

3) What is the nominal capacity of your reels?
What Vern and ryoushi said.
I ended up going with hollow core line and making my own leaders. There is a bit of a learning curve but I am impressed with whoever came up with the concept of hollow core line
I’d just go knotless with Fluorocarbon crimped inside your spectra. Whether you fish J hooks or circles, crimp them and your entire rig will be cleaner and not a single knot anywhere. Personally, I’d lean heavily toward circle hooks.
The advice so far has been outstanding. In your shoes, I would not bother with a fluorocarbon topshot on a topshot. Roosters are not picky. Just go straight mono.
© 24hourcampfire