Home
Posted By: Oregonmuley Razor Clams!! - 05/03/22
Oregon isn't that great for a lot of things but we are having a epic razor clamming year. Both from the amount of clams out there and also the size has just been fantastic. I've been going every 2 weeks or so when we have a good tide and each trip has been easy limits of jumbo clams. Just got done cleaning todays limit - looking forward to dinner tonight grin

Anybody else hit the beach recently??

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Razor Clams!! - 05/03/22
You’re killing me. No razors in my part of Oregon.

Gonna try digging gapers when I moor my boat in Newport.

I’m a fried clam loving SOB.

I hope you’re saving the stomach for crab bait.

P
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Razor Clams!! - 05/04/22
Pharm,
Aren't there some down that way?? I know its not like up north but thought you had some around Newport?? If I'm every down your way happy to bring you some, its been a banner year and the freezer is full of clams - oh and I do save some stuff but not big an crab more of a clam guy wink
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Razor Clams!! - 05/04/22
Name the time and place, I’ll be there!

How do you feel about salmon? Happy to swap.
Posted By: Judman Re: Razor Clams!! - 05/04/22
Hell ya frank! 👊🏻
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Razor Clams!! - 05/04/22
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Name the time and place, I’ll be there!

How do you feel about salmon? Happy to swap.

Pharm,
You still living around Brownsville or there abouts?? I should be down that way next month - my girlfriend is from Lebanon and still has family there we will be visting so maybe we could figure something out - happy to pass some along to a fellow 7MM-08 deciple wink
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Razor Clams!! - 05/05/22
Lots of Razor clams just off the South Jetty in Newport.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Razor Clams!! - 05/06/22
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Lots of Razor clams just off the South Jetty in Newport.

I’ve never seen them.

Been looking for 7 years.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Razor Clams!! - 05/06/22
They're there. I could walk there from our house in South Beach.
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Razor Clams!! - 05/06/22
I've been told you can find them on Agate Beach but you need a pretty good minus tide to do well. Even then I don't think its as good as up around Seaside/Gearhart/Sunset Beach area.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Razor Clams!! - 05/06/22
Oregonmuley: Good for you on the tasty "catch"!
Our family used to hit the beaches in SW Washington (and sometimes in Oregon) for Razor Clams - your photos bring back great memories - thanks for sharing.
Our interests family wise switched to Butter Clams as they were closer to home and more often more accessible.
About the only things I miss about living in the Pacific Northwest is Steelhead fishing and fresh seafood (including the aforementioned Razor Clams and Butter Clams).
Thanks again for sharing - enjoy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Jamie Re: Razor Clams!! - 05/12/22
After the covid closure we had some really good digging on the Washington beaches. The limit was even raised from 15 clams to 20 per person.
Our spring digs are over for the year so no more digging until the night tides this fall.

Jamie
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Razor Clams!! - 05/12/22
I'll be back at it next week either Tuesday or Wednesday - we will have some of the best minus tides of the year so looking forward to another fun dig. Will be getting a hold of you then Pharm to figure out how to get you some clams!!
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Razor Clams!! - 05/13/22
I can’t wait!
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Razor Clams!! - 05/17/22
Another beautiful day on the beach - great clamming today I don't think I've ever seen so many shows in the sand even up in the dry stuff. Lots of people but I think everyone was having a great time. Not the best picture but all nice sized clams and will be fine eating for sure wink

Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: Razor Clams!! - 05/21/22
I’m a big fan of razor clams. Never understood the draw of geoducks though.
Posted By: g5m Re: Razor Clams!! - 05/21/22
Beautiful!
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: Razor Clams!! - 05/22/22
[Linked Image]

This was a few years ago with 3 friends. 60 clam limits each. I dont remember how many beers it took us to clean all these, but it was a few.
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Razor Clams!! - 05/22/22
Thats a lot of clams!! I've cleaned about 40 at one time and it wasn't fun but worth it once all done.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Razor Clams!! - 05/22/22
Boys and girls, Oregonmuley is A#1 in my book, I don’t care what you all say about him.

P
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Razor Clams!! - 06/14/22
Another good day at the beach. Great weather and was surprised that not many folks out clamming today. Overall decent mix of clams for the day:)

Posted By: Poconojack Re: Razor Clams!! - 06/14/22
Would love to try Razor clams one of these days.
Have eaten Rhode Island cold water, hard shell clams called ‘Quahogs’ all my life. Different sizes…..smallest to largest are called littleneck’s, topneck’s, cherrystone’s and chowder clams. Partial to topneck’s served raw on the half shell garnished with a dash of lemon juice and some cocktail sauce or steamed and dipped in butter with oyster crackers on the side. One of my top three, all time favorite foods.
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Razor Clams!! - 06/15/22
I've tried a pretty decent variety of clams and would rate razors towards the top for taste. But don't think I'd turn away from about any with a cold beer wink
Posted By: longarm Re: Razor Clams!! - 06/16/22
What a beautiful haul. Best clams ever
Posted By: Judman Re: Razor Clams!! - 06/24/22
Originally Posted by longarm
What a beautiful haul. Best clams ever

Yep 👊🏻
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: Razor Clams!! - 06/25/22
A party/head boat that I used to go on all the time in the '70s always had a Manhattan style chowder made with razors. Man, was that good! The broth was so strong, it made your hair stand up.
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Razor Clams!! - 07/13/22
Got up way too early this morning for my last dig of this season. Had a great morning, easy limits and not many people on the section of beach I was on. Not as big as some of the earlier clams but a fine morning:)

Even had some of these guys above us having breakfast.
Posted By: Judman Re: Razor Clams!! - 07/13/22
Solid work Frank 👊🏻
Posted By: ironbender Re: Razor Clams!! - 07/18/22
15 clam limit there?

West side of the KP has been closed for quite a few years. Clams have never recovered from a minus tide freeze @ -30 or so.
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Razor Clams!! - 07/18/22
Awesome thread and great pics.. have never dug clams before but would love to give it a shot one day
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Razor Clams!! - 07/18/22
Originally Posted by ironbender
15 clam limit there?

West side of the KP has been closed for quite a few years. Clams have never recovered from a minus tide freeze @ -30 or so.
Yup, 15 per day per person and you are supposed to dig your own. Its been probably the best year I've seen for razors this year both in numbers and the size of the clams. Makes for a fun day and a great dinner!!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Razor Clams!! - 07/19/22
Ever see clams swim?
Posted By: Jcubed Re: Razor Clams!! - 07/19/22
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Ever see clams swim?

This seems like a trick question...
Posted By: 1minute Re: Razor Clams!! - 07/20/22
Ever see clams swim?

If one considers scallop a clam, then yes.

Razors can dig.
Posted By: CJredneck Re: Razor Clams!! - 07/21/22
we dig for steamers here and get a few razors here and there. We are allowed 1 peck (2 gallons) per person
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Razor Clams!! - 05/09/23
Kick this back up - Oregon opened the beaches to razor clamming this weekend so got out this morning for my 1st dig of the year. Beautiful weather and the clamming was great - no jumbos but a nice size overall. Going to be great for dinner grin

Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Razor Clams!! - 04/11/24
Back up for 2024!! First time out this year, beautiful day to be on the beach. Clamming wasn't super but managed a nice limit of good sized clams. Good day!

Posted By: Direct_Drive Re: Razor Clams!! - 04/11/24
'
Nice haul.
We're headed to Moclips and Copalis this weekend for some razor clamming and surf perch.
We wrecked 'em last year at Long Beach, lotsa jumbos and they bumped the limit to 20 per day.
This year, lotsa 4 inchers.
I've been to your Roake's many times.
Best dogs and fries anywhere !

Peter Iredale access ?

Oysterville last year
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
To our East Coast friends, this is clamming on the ocean side. Diggin' in the clean sand.
No slopping in the mud on the bay side like for steamers, cherrystones and Quahogs.
I love steamers and cherrystones, though and have done my share of mud daubin' on the Cape for them.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Razor Clams!! - 04/11/24
Wow! Color me envious. I just put a new 6-20X Leupold on my clam gun but haven't zeroed it yet. Stick will likely be along shortly with some constructive hints.
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Razor Clams!! - 04/11/24
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
'
Nice haul.
We're headed to Moclips and Copalis this weekend for some razor clamming and surf perch.
We wrecked 'em last year at Long Beach, lotsa jumbos and they bumped the limit to 20 per day.
This year, lotsa 4 inchers.
I've been to your Roake's many times.
Best dogs and fries anywhere !

Peter Iredale access ?

Oysterville last year
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
To our East Coast friends, this is clamming on the ocean side. Diggin' in the clean sand.
No slopping in the mud on the bay side like for steamers, cherrystones and Quahogs.
I love steamers and cherrystones, though and have done my share of mud daubin' on the Cape for them.

Couple miles south of the Peter Iredale. Not overly crowded today so that was also nice, not a bit of wind and just a great day to not work-grin!

Roakes you say, I live 5 minutes from there and will agree and darn fine doggy!!
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Razor Clams!! - 04/12/24
Woooo!

I miss PNW clams.
Posted By: Taco2fiddy7 Re: Razor Clams!! - 04/13/24
Damn... haven't dug any up in about 15 years and sure do miss it.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Razor Clams!! - 04/22/24
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Ever see clams swim?

I've seen 'em "walk" - they are monopedal. They don't hop on one leg - more like roll around.
© 24hourcampfire