Home
Hello all,
I'll be visiting Destin the end of the month. I think I remember there is a city pier and a county pier? as well as some places to surf fish? Tell me what I need to know. Never fished anything other than fresh water. Tackle? Bait? Surf fishing tackle and such?
Please help,
Rick
There is a pier in Panama City, not sure of Destin. You may be able to fish from the beach in some areas. Check out Half Hitch tackle shop in Destin, they can sort you out. https://halfhitch.com/stores/destin
Thank you for the help. I’m trying to take appropriate rods etc. with me. I have a short stiff (heavy) rod for the pier with 50lb braided line. What type of rod/reel for surf fishing. Will my stiff worm rod work? Or do I need heavier?
Thanks,
Rick
Fort Walton Beach has a pier and it's six miles from Destin.
In the surf early mornings wade out to the first and second bar.Bait with live mud minnows on a Carolina rig buy you a minnow trap at Wal-Mart at home bait with half mashed scrap minnow bucket left in the brackets ponds behind motels.The pompano should be biting in th surf on sand fleas.Need to start fishing before daylight.
Crab for bait for the minnow trap pm phone number for more info,GW
I run slide lines when fishing on piers in the ocean/surf, they work great for kingfish and tarpon but other fish will hit them also. Bob hall is the pier I fish on when I have time. Albert is a good friend of mine.

They fish from the high bridge over the channel there in Destin. Or at least they were when I went there a few years ago. Half Hitch Tackle has stores at each of the piers along the Panhandle Gulf Coast. When I was there, they did not allow fixed anchor slide rigs like used in TX or N. Carolina. Nice Kings are caught freelining live baits off the ends of the piers. You gotta go watch the locals to see what works at any one time or place.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
I run slide lines when fishing on piers in the ocean/surf, they work great for kingfish and tarpon but other fish will hit them also. Bob hall is the pier I fish on when I have time.

When is Bob Hall going to reopen?
Originally Posted by DryPowder
I run slide lines when fishing on piers in the ocean/surf, they work great for kingfish and tarpon but other fish will hit them also. Bob hall is the pier I fish on when I have time.

They are doing the demo now, hopefully in the next couple of years.
Bob Hall pier Tarpon caught on slide line.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

They are doing the demo now, hopefully in the next couple of years.

Thanks for the info. I went by and saw them working on it but didn't stop and ask any questions.
Okaloosa Island Pier is where you want to go. The locals are pretty hardcore but it is a true jewel. They catch pelagic species off that one regularly.

https://vimeo.com/735651738?fbclid=IwAR13Qv9ol_wwDPq5FvaoP5zBtbdWfBbBycYCkSqs9VrJnaNGo_7VzUFNoZo
© 24hourcampfire