Home
Kona Hawaii Fishing Report - August 2022 wrap-up.

I didn't fish for almost all of August so I've been compiling info from some of the guys. From what I gathered, there were a lot of "bald heads" this month. What?? Bald head? Let me explain. I have no idea how far back the term goes but at the end of your fishing day, you reel in your lines and then put up fish flags (brag flags) to indicate what you caught during the day. If you're not flying any fish flags, it's called coming in "bald headed". A conversation might go like this; "You went out Saturday?". "Yea, got bald head." Enough said, we know what happened. One smaller detail is that there isn't a fish flag for every fish that might be caught and some unwritten rules determine if you should raise your flag for a smaller-sized fish.

The marlin bite wasn't too bad this month. There wasn't an abundance of marlin this month but certainly had some nice size ones. I didn't hear about any more striped marlin caught this month but there were a few spearfish brought in.

We're still getting some "blind strike" ahi and the otaru schools can still be found racing around the Kona coast. I fished 3 days at the end of the month and on one day, I saw tuna of all sizes along the ledge. I fished them for almost an hour but couldn't get a bite. Then, as soon as they appeared, they were gone. Bald head.

The ono run is done even though I heard of some stragglers being caught. Mahi mahi season isn't quite here yet but some are starting to show up already.

I caught a couple of oioi on one trip so I dropped them to the bottom. The first one hooked up a shark but it came off. On the next drop, I hooked a jack but as soon as I did, the sharks started taking it apart. Done.

So I went to Honolulu right after writing last month's report for cancer surgery but I failed the pre-surgery Covid test and got sent back to Kona. This was my first time with Covid but it was pretty minor. I had cancer surgery the next week and then 2 weeks off the water. I'm still healing and not 100% yet but it was nice to be back on the water.

PS, Thanks for the support 24 Hour Campfire guys!

See 'ya on the water,
Capt. Jeff Rogers,
http://fishinkona.com

[img]http://fishinkona.com/AUG22.JPG[/img
Good to hear things are going well for you Jeff!
© 24hourcampfire