Home
Posted By: buckykm1 Gulf Shores, AL - 11/27/12
Hi
In late Feb early Mar, i am going to be in Foley, Al visiting my in-laws for about 10 days, I am use to fishing in LK Michigan and i plan on bring my boat down with me, it isn't big, but if i watch my days i can fish the Gulf with no problem. i have downriggers, and all my rods are set up for Salmon fishing,
I bought a map of the gulf near shore, it goes about 10 miles out. it shows wrecks and reefs.
What would be a good way to fish at that time of year ?, and what can i expect to catch ?
And suggestions would be helpful.

thanks
Kevin
Posted By: Wingnut53 Re: Gulf Shores, AL - 11/28/12
You shouldn't have to go that far offshore. Big bull reds and black drum can be caught off the point at Fort Morgan. Find a bait and tackle store on-line and ask the same question. Good luck.
Posted By: paulfish4570 Re: Gulf Shores, AL - 11/28/12
yeah, the bull reds will be in the docks, too, this time of year. jig for 'em like for bass, pitching up under and alongside the docks ...
Posted By: paulfish4570 Re: Gulf Shores, AL - 11/28/12
if you want to eat reds, be sure you cut out the lateral (blood) line from the fillets ...
Posted By: buckykm1 Re: Gulf Shores, AL - 11/28/12
Thanks guys.
On the map i bought, i see a lot of reefs and ship wrecks from 1 to 5 miles out, what would i catch on that sort of stuff around March 1 ?.

thanks
Kevin
Posted By: Sethjamto Re: Gulf Shores, AL - 12/11/12
I'd sit on a wreck and yank in some grouper! Nothing beats a grouper sammich!!
Posted By: Charlie_in_TX Re: Gulf Shores, AL - 12/17/12
Grouper are good and fun. The problem is getting bait past the endangered red snapper to the grouper. You will probable catch 15 snapper to 1 grouper.

The most important thing about going offshore fishing is getting back to port. You may find yourself all alone out there this time of year. Best to have 2 motors.

Once you start your motor to leave port, do not turn it off. The most likely time for a problem to show up is when you restart.

File a float plan. It can be as simple as marking your map, taking high definition pictures and email to some who is expecting you to return.
Posted By: kbush Re: Gulf Shores, AL - 12/19/12
Go to Sam's in Orange Beach and ask for Chris. He'll set you straight.
Posted By: KYFRED Re: Gulf Shores, AL - 02/01/13
if you are in Foley, you can go toward the Pensecola bay and fish for reds and trout or toward ft morgan and do teh same. i'd go toward ft morgan. The bay is solid, but takes some learning.

Ft Moragn has a ramp at the end of the end of the peninsula and is a short ride to the mouth of mobile bay. Fish on the bottom with live bait or cut bait and drift an outgoing tide. You'll catch reds, sharks, and maybe some crevelles (depending on water temp). it is also a short 3-5 mile run to rigs that are esily seen. You can fish that structure rather easy and safely.

Make sure you read on the coast guard regs. They are very different. Also check the season on reds, snapper and grouper. You'll also need a bladder needle for the snapper.

A heavy duty salmon rod will work for the reds and such, but if you go out, buy a heavier rig with 40-60 lb test and 8-16 ounce weights. you will want to get the bait deep fast. The snapper are loaded despite what is being reported.
© 24hourcampfire