3. Ice Chest
4. 4wd Truck
5. Spider and Pyramid weights
6. www.swellinfo.com
7. Sun Protection
8. Leaders
9. Circle hooks and fresh dead shrimp
10. Kids

I go into more detail over at my silly blog , but I'm interested in hearing what you veterans feel are must haves. So, what do you feel is a must?
I can't help you Andy, I've never done it.

What kind of fish did you catch?
It depends on the time of the year. My last trip we caught whiting and hardheads, but it was mostly youngsters reeling them in. Good times.
Not to highjack the thread, but the last fishing I have done, getting a hole bored was a bigger concern than sunburn
A yellow danny plug
Andy,
I caught this dude off the beach in Corpus last year. It was late in the day and the beach was clearing out, so I tossed out a shrimp. It took me nearly 20 minutes to get him in.

I'm heading down again for vacation this July and plan to spend many hours fishing remote beaches. I'll probably work 2 surf rods and one or two baits like you suggest. I may have to hit you up for some more pointers.

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Posted By: Sponxx Re: Must haves for surf fishing - 04/25/14
Andy,
I just caught this post and was gonna put a smartass answer about rod, reel, hook and bait. smile

My setup is about the same as you, get to do fishing when going to the beach with the family (no dedicated fishing outings with 3 kids 4 and under!).
What I usually do is cast out a big surf rod with some fresh caught cut bait and help my 4yo son with his rod (5'5 Shakespeare) and dead shrimp on a 1/0 circle.
This year I will have to handle the 3yo girl with her 4ft pink rod smile
In the past we've been quite successful with whiting, rat reds and of course hardheads!
Posted By: Sponxx Re: Must haves for surf fishing - 04/25/14
True must have's are patience and half decent quality equipment, otherwise you might be set for frustration.
My basic "musts" are the same as yours:
I bring circle hooks, pyramid and spider weights, fishbites, and rod holders.
Smartass answers are welcome! Its a bunch of fun with the kids
Posted By: EdM Re: Must haves for surf fishing - 04/29/14
Since we have moved here to Oz my 15 year old swears it is an Alvey reel and pole.
For surf panfish like you're talking about NOTHING beats a sabiki rig tipped with tiny pieces of shrimp, bloodworm, clam, or fish bites. You can cut the rigs down if they are too long for whatever rod you happen to be using. I think Hayabusa brand rigs are the best quality, but they are also the most expensive.

BTW, I find hardheads to be delicious, I just break off the spines before tossing them in the cooler to prevent lacerations later.
https://www.facebook.com/alberto.zertuche.90

In additon to what has been mentioned:

1. A cast net with which I net small fish for bait.

2. Old FREE spark plugs that I use in liu of lead sinkers which I would have to buy.
© 24hourcampfire