Home
Title says it all, folks make claims both ways.

Which opinion is true?
It won't kill you, that's for sure but there are other things I'd sooner eat.
Yes, I suppose that you could eat them if you had to.
They are aggressive feeders, great fighters, put a nice bend in the rod and will make your drag work when using light tackle.
I know a person who bleeds them out then smokes them and he makes a fish dip with them and smoked mullet. The dip isn't bad, seems to improve after several adult beverages.

There are much tastier things to keep for dinner.

YMMV

StarchedCover
Originally Posted by Steelhead

You're not allowed on this forum anymore.
if you are a Filipino you can eat one.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by Steelhead

You're not allowed on this forum anymore.

I hear you, I think it's pretty nasty, but it won't kill ya...

Hell, people like bluefish and I can't stomach the stuff
No not that...we use jacks for shark bait. Crabs won't even eat it much. You aren't allowed because you're a high lander now.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
You aren't allowed because you're a high lander now.

I knew it:

[Linked Image]
Connor McCloud....one of my faves. smile
Never eaten a jack crevalle. Caught a boatload of them. As mentioned, they pull hard and will get your drag singing on light tackle. However, when fishing for something else that is edible, it's usually a bummer to see them come up and turn sideways.

I've eaten a fair amount of smoked amberjack and would suggest that over the jack crevalle. If ever given multiple choice, I'd choose smoked mackerel first. That and some good German potato salad will get your blood running.
Guy I fish with in Homestead gives them to his buddy that owns a fish house. He sales them to Cubans and Jamaicans. Says they buy them as fast as he gets them in. Never ate one myself.
I grew up being told they were inedible and believed it. Bonita as well-catch either and bleed them well right away (cut the tail off of the jack and cut the gill really good on both and run a hose in their mouth if you can, the amount of blood you get out is amazing) fillet and cut the darkest meat out and discard. Cook either on the grill and it's great (yes there are better things to eat but this is not bad and I hate strong/fishy fish) or chill and slice and eat either fresh and raw-makes great shashimi.
A friend's this spring

[Linked Image]

Soy sauce, wasabi and sesame seeds....so good

[Linked Image]
I've eaten a barrel of smoked Amberjack (bigger brother), but no jack crevalle.
Have eaten small ones. 3-4 pounds. Fillet and fry like any other fish. Done the same with small stingrays, they make nice "chicken fingers".
Never been that hard up for fish. Hasbeen
© 24hourcampfire