Home
Posted By: buckthumper hooks for surf fishing - 12/27/16
I'm headed to the outer banks for vacation this year and I plan on doing a good bit of surf and pier fishing but I have no Idea what kind of hooks I should get. What brand has proven reliable and what size?
Posted By: mikestaten Re: hooks for surf fishing - 12/28/16
I'd get an assortment of gamakatsu octopus or octopus circle hooks. Not sure when you are going or what species you are after but if you got a few packs of 3/0, 5/0 and 8/0, I think you'd be covered.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: hooks for surf fishing - 12/28/16
I'd go with Owner hooks, the sharpest and strongest hooks I've used.

Posted By: Omega51 Re: hooks for surf fishing - 02/08/17
I am certainly no expert but I spend a bit of time fishing the OB. For most of the stuff you will catch from the piers or surf with a basic bottom rig Eagle Claw 231X (double line) snelled hooks in sizes 4 and 6 work well. The big chopper blues, kings, and drum are a different story, but this size works for average blues, Spanish, sea trout, flounder, etc.
Posted By: Sponxx Re: hooks for surf fishing - 02/09/17
No clue about species in the OB, but if fishing with a few rods in a rod holder I would recommend circle hooks.
You will get solid hookups without gut-hooking much.

If you will be holding the rod, then J type hooks are ok, although they can still be swallowed and will be a mess to release/dehook a fish.

I still use trebles or Jhook on lures, but For any bait soaking I have moved completely to circle hooks. 3/0 thin wire circle Eagle Claws have worked well in the surf gulf for me. 5/0-8/0 for bigger fish such as bull reds, blacks and small sharks.
You can't set the hook hard on a circle hook though, as you will pul it from the mouth, slow tension does it.

Basically you need to match your hook to bait size.
Brads - Owner, Gamakatsu, Mustad Daiichi, Eagle Claw, all should be good.
© 24hourcampfire