Home
Tell me about fishing, what I have heard referred to as the Nature Coast? I will be taking a little jaunt down that way this summer and wouldn't mind wetting a line. I would be limited to inshore; I could always rent a kayak.

At any rate, I will be a stone's throw from Weeki Wachee. I have done a little reading, and it seems there are some brackish rivers/inlets
/bays in the area: The Crystal River, Mud River, Rocky Creek, Hernando Beach, among others.

Anyone down that way? Suggestions? What saltwater species could I chase? Tackle recommendations?
When are you coming? I am 20 minutes from Weeki Wachee.
You have just discovered one of God's little secrets. smile
One of the nicest areas of Florida, if you ask me.

Bring a couple 12-17 lb spinning rods and you'll be set for just about any species there, unless you're targeting tarpon. You'll have to beef up your tackle, if that's the case.
Work the spoil islands outside Yankee town with a paddle tail on a 3/8 oz jig head... If the fish are there, they'll bite..
Good advice. If you want to have more variety hireing a guide and doing a charter is a good way to go. The area has a lot of very shallow flat and lots of mangroves. It can be daunting to figure out just what and where. Charters are about 300$ for full day and its rare if you dont wind up being impressed. 3to 10# redfish up in the creeks are really fun since youre usually sight fishing in 1/2 to 3 or 4 feet. If you think you want to try a guide let me know, I can recommend a couple that are honest, effective and trustworthy. Rogn
I live in Homosassa and the best place to go fishing is the area between Homosassa and Yankee town to the north. There are plenty of good motels on US 19 [ the main drag] and plenty of access points to the gulf. If you are bringing a boat, there are good free boat ramps on the Homosassa and Crystal river and up by yankeetown and Inglis. Redfish, Trout, Snapper, and others are plentiful and easy to catch.
Go to Myfwc.com and you can find out everything you need to know.
Medium tackle is plenty fine. D.O.A shrimp work well as does live bait.
© 24hourcampfire