Home
Posted By: CashisKing Trolling rod help please - 05/22/17
Heading down to Panama in a few weeks to chase Pacific whatever. Typical haul is tuna (under #75), Snapper, Wahoo etc. All under #100.

Been borrowing gear for the past few trips, but time to tote my own.

The reel I have been borrowing is a Shimano TLD 2-Speed Conventional Reel, 40 Pounds/450 Yards 024994... done me very well.

Looking for rod recommendations... prefer 2 piece for travel, but will take any advise that is given.

Small boats 25'... never more than a few miles off shore.

Appreciate any advise and links/PMs that y'all can help me with.
Posted By: pal Re: Trolling rod help please - 05/22/17
Forget the 2-piece rod idea.

Shimano Talica 16 2-speed reel.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: WDEA Re: Trolling rod help please - 06/17/17
Penn 40LD 2 speed narrow...stuff it with 80lb/100lb hollow core braid stepped.

United Composite 7' stick with HD ring guides.

Run loop to loop leaders and fish from 40-80lb with ease.

Check out www.charkbait.com for great CS and gear.

Mark and his team are exceptional.

Put the wood on'em.
Posted By: yobuck Re: Trolling rod help please - 06/17/17
I think you've answered the question by mentioning the boat size and Tuna.
There will probably be no chair involved, meaning standing up while attempting to boat very aggressive and possibly large fish.
So that for me would mean standup gear, meaning a shorter rod designed for that purpose.
As for the reel, the one you've been using would work as would others of a similar size.
Since you have already been there, id think you know whats needed.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Trolling rod help please - 06/17/17
Originally Posted by yobuck
There will probably be no chair involved, meaning standing up while attempting to boat very aggressive and possibly large fish.
So that for me would mean standup gear, meaning a shorter rod designed for that purpose.
As for the reel, the one you've been using would work as would others of a similar size.

I've done 30+ years of panga [small boat] fishing........it's far different from a fighting chair situation.
The TLDs are a good reel.....designed by Fred Archer IIRC.

I have /had quite a bunch of salt water reels and only one is a 2 speed.....got rid of the other 2 speed reels.
I've seen too many screw-ups with gear shifting etc.
A better, longer crank handle is far preferable for me....amazing the difference a little longer throw and better grip
can make. Many Shimano reels will accept the crank of the next larger reel in that category or I've Reel Colors
make a crank for my larger reels.
Posted By: doubletap Re: Trolling rod help please - 06/20/17
Originally Posted by yobuck

+1
A long rod will wear you out when fighting large fish.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Trolling rod help please - 06/22/17
For the money you'd be hard pressed to top the new Avet JX G2. I've been running the original JX's for several seasons and my only complaint was they were just a bit light in the drag for larger fish. The new G2 with twin drag washers makes it perfect. The single speed 4.6 ratio is also just right. I have a two speed JX raptor and while two speed seems great in theory, IMHO it's just something to go wrong.

As far as rods, a good jigging rod between 5 1/2 to 6' is IMHO a great setup for that type of fishing. I'd also forget about two piece rods. I have a pair of Shimano trevalas that are two piece rods thinking I might use them for traveling in the future. Well once you've fought a few fish, you're not getting them apart.
Ended up going with a Shimano TLD 20 for under $115 and an 5.5" Offshore angler rod. #40 Ande... #80 steel leader for the Sierra and Wahoo.

------------------------------------------

Just back from the annual fishing/beer drinking pilgrimage in rural Panama.

Fishing was awesome. 150+ tuna caught (#15 to #35 range)... plus nice Spanish Mackerel, Grouper, Dolphin (Dorado), Wahoo, Red snapper.

[Linked Image]

Open Pacific waters in small boats with local commercial fishermen as guides. Less than 10 miles out.

[Linked Image]

Froze #125 fillets... 3x wrapped in bulk newspaper, transported home in luggage. Baggage handlers were not happy on weight.

AND it all fit in the deep freeze. "...arranged according to height and popularity." Maj. Frank Burns

[Linked Image]

More pics to follow...
I am cringing looking at those ziplocks. Any plans to repack them? Glad you got into them!
Originally Posted by FishinHank
I am cringing looking at those ziplocks. Any plans to repack them? Glad you got into them!

I hear you on the vacuum seal... thanks for making the point.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Trolling rod help please - 06/24/17
Frank,

If this is to be a regular trip for you, I'd suggest polarbearcoolers.com......size 48 will hold 48 pounds
of fillets and meet airline limits......they usually have a November 2 for 1 sale.....they work great for this purpose.
© 24hourcampfire