Home
Posted By: Killzone San Diego Open Party tuna - 02/22/18
I'll be in San Diego the 1st week of this coming October. I'd love to do an overnighter or two on an open party boat, primarily for tuna. It's been kind of a bucket list thing for me for a long time. This will likely be my one and only chance to do it. Can anybody point me in the right direction here? Limited funds rule out private charter so please don't go there. I'll be more than happy on a reputable open party boat with a captain and crew that cares.

Thanks
Posted By: jdollar Re: San Diego Open Party tuna - 02/23/18
Check out the websites for H&M Landing, Fishermen’s Landing, and Point Loma Sportfisjing. They all have websites and they all offer a variety of open party trips on numerous boats, ranging from 1 day to 3 weeks. They all offer tackle rental packages tailored to the length of the trip. Be aware that if the trip is half way decent you could end up with 100+ lbs of tuna fillets to deal with or ship. I always donated my excess to the SD homeless shelters. Dorado fishing is usually still good in early Oct. All the landings have phone numbers to call for daily fishing reports. Bear in mind that generally you have much more fishing time on a 2 day trip than a 24-36 hour trip. Unless it is a really good year, the fish are 50-75 miles offshore, so a lot of time is spent just running out to the banks at 8-10 mph. The party boats are all really slow.
Posted By: BCJR Re: San Diego Open Party tuna - 02/23/18
I went with H&M, caught 2 on a day trip had a blast.Everyone was really nice.
+1 on what Jdollar said. You will catch Bluefin and Yellowtail that time of year. Try to get on a boat that has RSO if you want to keep fish that are not completely frozen solid.
Bring Flourocarbon and thank me later.
© 24hourcampfire