Home
Posted By: JoeMartin Worms in Yellowfin - 06/19/18
I've seen worms in fish before and they looked like worms. Just filleted a Yellowfin, we caught yesterday, then started cutting steaks. I vac-paced 4 that looked perfect, then one had little red lines shot all through it. I did a search on the net and found one pic that looked like one of mine. It was from several years ago. Some said the were capillaries, and it was fine. Some one else said they described it to a sushi chef and he said parasite. They look like little red blood veins, but not attatched. I'll try to link the pic I found. At first glance they looked black, but when looking closer they were defiantly red. Anyone ever seen little skinny red line running through a tuna steak? Looking for the pic I just had, I found another website that said the little red wiggley things are veins. Still would like to verify. looks like the pic was too old or another site not welcome here. I edited it out so not to offend.
Posted By: Judman Re: Worms in Yellowfin - 06/19/18
They’re in our ocean bottom fish pretty thick, we try to pic em all out. Never seen em in yellowfin or albacore, freezing, canning and cooking will kill em I suppose
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: Worms in Yellowfin - 06/19/18
Thanks for the quick reply. I've found a bunch of fishing threads asking the same question about little red lines, and several sushi sites, that say they are blood veins, Then a couple more saying they are worms. All said to pick them out. I should have snapped a pic. I'll check the freezer in the morning and see if they are still visible and I'll get a pic.
Posted By: Judman Re: Worms in Yellowfin - 06/19/18
Copy ya our seabass halibut lingcod etc got worms pretty bad sometimes, some folks say salmon do too but I’ve never seen it
Posted By: 1minute Re: Worms in Yellowfin - 06/19/18
Yes. Hold up a fillet of any of our PNW bottom fish to a light source and they are racked with numerous parasites. Never heard of any being an issue though. Not noticed any among our tuna, but we don't handle a lot of that in this region. A cursory examination should quickly reveal whether one has additional life there or it's an integral part of the flesh. Regardless, it's probably nothing to get excited about.

Never noticed any additional life forms in our salmon or steelhead. If anywhere, I'd expect them to show up most prominently among farmed fish.
Posted By: fubarguy Re: Worms in Yellowfin - 06/21/18
Are you a fish?

Then why eat worms?
Posted By: Mgw619 Re: Worms in Yellowfin - 06/27/18
Worms in the fish I've seen around here look like spaghetti noodles
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Worms in Yellowfin - 06/28/18
This is typically what I find in our bottom fish.

[Linked Image]

Have found them in cod, pollock, halibut, rockfish and ling cod. Used to completely gross me out, now I just know to look for them and trim them out as needed. Generally they show up in the flesh surrounding the stomach. Did have one pollock that was riddled with them and it was discarded.
Posted By: Judman Re: Worms in Yellowfin - 06/29/18
Yep that’s what I find too Lott. Just make sure you cook it good!! Grin
© 24hourcampfire