Home
Friends,

Last week I was given a 74" long split-bamboo boat rod, that I plan to restore for display IF I can find the proper period guides for it.
(The tip-top guide is there & in good shape, so I need just five of the other guides.)

The rod, reel seat & handle are in GREAT shape, for a saltwater boat-rod that's likely nearly 8 decades years old. - Even the finish on the bamboo is in good shape.

Do any of you know where I can get the proper style of guides for restoring the rod??
(I would prefer a set of top/guides with real agate inserts.)

Also, I'm now looking for a suitable saltwater reel of the same era, IF anyone has such a relic "laying about".

MERRY CHRISTMAS from both of us.

yours, tex
Check with mudhole tackle, or Merrick Tackle, maybe anglers workshop.
All have online catalogs you can look at to try and match up your existing guides.
358Norma_Fan,

THANKS. - I'll go look in those places.

yours, tex
EBAY, i build my own rods. i built a retro calcutta a while back and found the guides on ebay.
stxhunter,

Fwiw, ebay.com was the FIRST place that I looked & W/O finding any suitable "period" guides. - NONE on amazon.com either.
(A very NICE guy at mudtackle.com said that he would "look about" & see if they have any suitable NOS guides.)

Fyi, I long ago lost count of how many "surf-sticks" that we cadets made, about 50 years ago, in boarding school, from Calcutta poles. Back then, Calcutta poles were 2.99 each at GLOBE DISCOUNT in Galveston, TX. = My BIGGEST shark (that I actually kept as a trophy) was taken in Galveston, off a jetty, on a 20-foot Calcutta/9/0 Penn/80# braided line & using an about 5# live fish (under a toy balloon) for bait. = A female Tiger that weighed >500# & a LONG fight, too.

Other than a few "bonnet-heads" for the table ("Bonnet-heads" make GREAT fish & chips & they are very numerous/not endangered.), I've not killed a shark in over 4 decades. - These days, my "catch" is weighed/measured/tagged/released.
Further, IF we have a person aboard, who has the needed knowledge/supplies, we also take tissue samples of each "catch & release"..

THANKS for the advice, nonetheless.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, Darla/tex
© 24hourcampfire