Home
Posted By: Moses Boat Insurance - 04/10/19
I just bought a 2005 Key West 17 ft DC with a 115hp Mercury. I am going to keep it at my beach house in Garden City SC. It will be used to fish Murrells Inlet 2 miles away and just ride around with family. Should I carry any insurance on it? If so what kind?
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Boat Insurance - 04/21/19
I have a 2013 Key West 203DFS that I keep on a trailer at my house in central MS. I insure it through USAA which pawns it off to progressive. The premium is reasonable, about $240 a year for comprehensive, collision, and liability. I also have a towing rider that pays for towing if I need a tow on the ocean, I think it's an extra $40 a year.

At a very minimum I'd want some sort of liability coverage in case you hit someone on the water, you know they're going to sue you right off the bat.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Boat Insurance - 04/22/19
Look into yacht policies.

Your boat doesn’t need to be a “Yacht” to hold one and I believe they hold some key differences.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Boat Insurance - 04/22/19
I've had Progressive on my boat for years, just paid the premium which was $220. I've used it twice and they were fantastic in my opinion. I wouldn't be without it.
Posted By: jeeper Re: Boat Insurance - 04/22/19

Might check with State Farm . i have boat insurance with them and it covers collision and some medical as well .
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Boat Insurance - 04/27/19
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I've had Progressive on my boat for years, just paid the premium which was $220. I've used it twice and they were fantastic in my opinion. I wouldn't be without it.

This is all / what you need.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Boat Insurance - 04/28/19
If I'm towing, State Farm covers the boat/trailer. Once on the water, then I need boat/liability coverage. Pretty cheap given the risks.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Boat Insurance - 04/28/19
Recently watched this video on boat insurance and learned a bit.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Boat Insurance - 04/29/19
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Recently watched this video on boat insurance and learned a bit.

Watched that video a few weeks ago and it is a good one. Worth the time IMHO.
© 24hourcampfire