Home
Posted By: vbshootinrange Tides for crabbing??? - 02/26/20
Just bought a new small crab "net", one that hooks on a fishing line, and opens up when it hits the bottom.

Was wondering if there is a tide that is best for crabbing? High tide, low tide, incoming tide, or does it matter at all?

This new "net " sounds fun! Hope it works! I'll find out in a few days.

Thanks! Virgil B.
Posted By: OAM Re: Tides for crabbing??? - 02/29/20
It depends on where you are planning on fishing and depth. I would try at the entrance of harbors where they process fish on an incoming tide. Dungees seem to really gang up in places like that. I dont have much faith in the cast "nets". Get your hands on a small lay flat ring trap at a garage sale. Ive crushed them with those. Ive even caught them with perforated cans of catfood as bait in 10' of water. Good luck
Was planning on crabbing at the dock, out south jetty road, south of Florence, Or.

I've caught a few crabs with my fishing pole, while surf fishing near here.

This will be my first time crabbing in about 50 years.

If these triangle "nets" don't work, I'll go ahead and get a ring crab net.

Thanks!

Virgil B.
Posted By: rong Re: Tides for crabbing??? - 02/29/20
Post up some pics if you have some luck,sounds interesting.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Tides for crabbing??? - 03/01/20
Tail end of incoming and slack tide.
One more question on crabbing;

What's your favorite bait?

Since the bottom of this trap is only abut 12" X 12"

I'm thinking maybe chicken wings, hooked on with wire ties.

Thanks! Virgil B.
Picked up some cheap chicken drumsticks and some small wire ties.

Heading over to Florence in the AM to give crabbing a try.

Virgil B.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Tides for crabbing??? - 03/04/20
When I was in Delaware we’d get chicken necks from grocery stores and use that as crab bait... then got get a buck of blue crabs, pick up a bottle of wine, and some old bay seasoning and steam them and eat ‘em over the next couple of hours...

It is not a quick meal.

We’d fish off the bridges just off the Delaware bay, the crabs come in with the tide so anything but slack water is good. I’d run 4-6 lift baskets that flatten out when they hit the bottom with the chicken necks wired to the center of the basket. Drop them over the bridge in the direction the current is moving and wait about 7 -10 minutes... then check them.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Tides for crabbing??? - 03/04/20
As a kid, we’d get moss bunkers (menhaden) at the bait/tackle and cut into chunks.
Well, We caught lots of crabs with these new fish pole nets, but, NO keepers.

We probably caught 20 each, but all were too small, or female.

Going to try another dock next time.

I ended up buying a crab at the Crab pot in Florence on the way home, so at least I had a crab!

Virgil B.
Posted By: Judman Re: Tides for crabbing??? - 03/08/20
Never payed attention to tides, dumped the pots with salmon carcasses, went fishing, pulled em when we came back in
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Tides for crabbing??? - 03/08/20
As Judman says, the oil milking out of the salmon carcasses can't be be beat BUT...it is also the favorite seals and sea lions, very liable to get your stuff tore all to hell.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Tides for crabbing??? - 03/09/20
Yep, use salmon carcasses in the Yaquina or Alsea Bay and you're likely to need new pots.
Posted By: Gies340 Re: Tides for crabbing??? - 05/10/20
East coast blue crabbers often use chicken necks or bull lips. I was fortunate to get to crab in MD many times pulling individual traps. Also a fair amount of trot lines in use. My dear friend was a man of the sea for 50 years as a merchant marine. He had a great sense of humor and his boat was named "chicken neckers" which was self derogatory.

Urban dictionary- Slang commonly used on the Eastern Shore of Maryland to describe a tourist or someone who is not from that area. comes form the practice of using chicken necks as crab bait. "These god damned chicken neckers always turn 50/301 into a parking lot during weekends in July."

If you are looking for a fantastic book, please consider, "Beautiful Swimmers."
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Tides for crabbing??? - 06/02/20
I have only used pots out here. I stop by the fish monger and get a couple salmon carcasses for a few bucks. Drop them and let soak for a while. Even overnight.

Have seen folks do well with those small flat traps cast out on cheap Walmart spinning rigs though.

SSound crab was schit canned again this year. Might have to give it a run!
drumsticks marinated in pro-cure crab attractant.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Tides for crabbing??? - 06/21/20
In the South, we use "Aged" chicken parts that have a delicate aroma about them.....creates a stronger scent trail for the crab to follow! LOL You will be surprised how fast Crab can disengage your bait no matter how well you have it tied down! LOL
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Tides for crabbing??? - 06/22/20
Crab like fresh bait best. Usually mix squid and mackerel in Scotty jars, and yes hanging fish carcasses tend to attract sea lions [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: DaddyRat Re: Tides for crabbing??? - 06/29/20
Caught a bunch of blue crabs in NC on chicken backs and flounder heads. Hand lining kept me very busy in the summer.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Tides for crabbing??? - 06/29/20
get permission to use them at fish cleaning stations at local marinas.
In the bays, I drop pots during the flood up to slack. Use plenty of rope!
Posted By: pacecars Re: Tides for crabbing??? - 09/12/20
Reese
Posted By: Old_Crab Re: Tides for crabbing??? - 11/17/20
Both incoming and outgoing tides work well on Puget Sound crab.
Whenever the water is "running quick", I think the crabs detect to bait/trap and make their way to it.

Slack tides produce very little action....good time to have lunch.
© 24hourcampfire