Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
nadzab Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Wow, that epoxy method is something I never would have thought of...thanks for the info!

Don in Maine
GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Art...

Just a quick question, or six.

what's your opinion on putting your expoxy finish OVER a previously tru oiled stock, for the purpose of gaining a weather tight seal?

Taking into account a sanding prior to making the attempt, and an oil finish following, as per your method.

How much would the previous Tru Oil finish hamper the epoxy's absorbtion into the wood?

Would the oven heat just make it go deeper or would it rise up and mess with the epoxy?

Have you ever "refinished" a stock with your method and if so, what steps did you take?

Not lazy about stripping a stock completely just wondering what to worry over........

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For me a stock finish job takes about as long as shaping from scratch. Sanding is same-same. I have stacks of wonderful blanks and stock refinishing does not get into my vocabulary easily... Repair, yes, but not refinish. At this point all of my stocks have epoxy for a base and all will ocntinue to get the same treatment...

That said, the epoxy really needs the "tooth" involved in getting into the wood, IMO, to really seal. I envision the epoxy floating on the oil beneath and adhering in a general way, but not like the real deal... Again, I am guessing as this is outside my customary habits.

Were I refinishing I would strip to bare wood everytime. No way oil is going to help epoxy get in...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Much appreciated.......

[Linked Image]
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I have been using the epoxy method as per Art's coaching. His quick comments above make it sound perhaps easier than it is. The sanding stage takes time to get a perfectly even coat of epoxy (and not sand through in spots.) You are sanding epoxy, after all. But it does create a fine finish that I am sure will be extremely durable.

The two stocks below are my efforts; the one on the left is epoxy on English walnut, the one on the right is a oil/poly sanded in slurry finish that I did maybe 15 years ago. In thinking back on it, I am sure that the sanded in finish took more time.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nicely done!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
nadzab Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Those look incredible. Nice work.

Don in Maine
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Sitka, I took your suggestion and read all i could find of your posts regarding oil finishes and epoxy. I did not find any comprehensive directions though. I found short comments on one portion of the procedure or another, but nothing covering everything. I had difficulty with the search function, as I couldn't search for a key word(s) and your name simultaneously. Were you referring to something that is perhaps older than two years or possibly something I couldn't find via the search?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There should be some complete descriptions here, newer than two years...

Search shoul dget you there. Will see if I can find something.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks SD, I appreciate your help. Sorry I'm too computer illiterate to execute an adequate search.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
PM sent your way

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,659
Posts18,455,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.