Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
While digging up parts for Damnesia I took some pics for reference.

Here's the 3 stages of evolution I found to be distinctive. The early 1899 spindle was 1 piece with a thin shaft. The end of the rotor is longer and mates with the receiver. Later the rotor is shortened and the spindle becomes 2 piece with the head of the spindle shaft becoming the mating surface into the receiver.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The first 2 piece spindle on the left is different from later versions. Note the inside of the rotor heads. The lock nut is also different.

Closer view of the rotor heads.

These are the 2 spindle heads of the later concave rotor head style. Note on the left there is a hole for the spring tip. This head is thin and not threaded. The next version is much thicker and threaded for the spindle shaft. the spring tip is not visible.

A close view of the early 1899 spindle head. These are lots of fun to adjust. That is one of the pot metal rotors that show up sporadically.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
We really need to get all the rotor info into a sticky.

Mike, when do the rotor studs with the slot in the opposite end of the threads come into play? I have two of those and the slots don't look hand cut. Is there any desire for people, myself included, to figure out date ranges for spindle types? I think the dates would be loose but maybe worth the effort? This maybe only stuff that tinkerbells care about though.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for posting Mike, really informative. I've yet to dismantle a 99. Guess since I didn't buy my first until late fall of 2019 the need really hasn't come up to do so, BUT I'm always curious on how any firearm works and is put together. That started way back in the early 60's when I was around 14. Took my Dad's Remington 521T 22LR apart to see how it worked. Assorted parts all over a old table in the basement. He asked me if I knew how to put it together, replied I think so. Really didn't but studied on how all the parts interacted with each other and such. Got it back together fine. Have been doing that with every firearm I've ever had, except any of my 99's. There'll come a day. grin

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The one on the left is similar to one I'm working on right now. I was thinking that the threads had been stripped out but now that I see another one, I guess it never had threads. It appears that I need to put a bit more torque on the spindle nut than I'm used to in order to keep the carrier from rotating on the spindle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Mike usually i only sell complete units , but i do have a few indivual parts that i have picked up in parts deals.

Norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I added this thread to the rotor thread that Tal35 originally posted in the MISC sticky.

Any postings dealing with this information should be add here so it will all be together.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,621
Posts18,455,093
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.