-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My friend Chris (a private pilot) and I flew from Houston, Texas to Chanute, Kansas over the weekend of November 22-23, 2008 to go visit the Martin and Osa Johnson Safari Museum. http://www.safarimuseum.com/ I thought I'd share a few photos from our trip.

Cheers! [Linked Image]
-Bob F.

Our ride to Kansas. 1979 Piper Seminole, N2094C :

[Linked Image]

The Martin and Osa Johnson Safari Museum (and Public Library) in Chanute, Kansas:

[Linked Image]

Martin and Osa Johnson (they were both pilots):

[Linked Image]

Osa's flight suit and cap:

[Linked Image]

Osa's original pilot's license from 1935:

[Linked Image]

Some of Osa's fashion accessories:

[img]http://www.bunduki.com/bob/osa/chanute1/IMG_0090.jpg[/img]

Some of their trophies:

[img]http://www.bunduki.com/bob/osa/chanute1/IMG_0058.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.bunduki.com/bob/osa/chanute1/IMG_0060.jpg[/img]

One of Osa's rifles donated to the museum by her mother. A Winchester Model 94 in .30-30 Winchester:

[img]http://www.bunduki.com/bob/osa/chanute1/IMG_0077.jpg[/img]

Me with life size sculptures of Martin and Osa Johnson:

[img]http://www.bunduki.com/bob/osa/chanute1/IMG_0093.jpg[/img]

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great pictures and definitely one of my must see someday places.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"I Married Adventure" is a great read and highly recommended. They had an exciting time together.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for sharing that. I never even knew there was a museum. I remember reading an article several years ago about their travels. Very interesting stuff.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BF,

Thanks so much for this post and the photos! She was a sexy and tough little chunk, for sure, and their documentation makes Old Africa live forever.

I would love to get to the museum someday. cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hatari
"I Married Adventure" is a great read and highly recommended. They had an exciting time together.

+1 - one of my favorite reads. Was surprised to learn she did most of the shooting while Martin was off filming. Her second book wasn't as good but still an interesting read, IMO.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Boy, those names bring back boyhood memories!!

Cat, the other white meat!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I too was unaware of the museum. I read "I married adventure" as a high school kid and it stuck in the memory banks. Last year I spotted the zebra stripped cover in a used bookstore from across the room and was on it in a second for $5.00. As 40+ years have passed, I reread it.

I think she drafted one of the better accounts of the logistics, atmosphere, and challenges of being in Africa durning the golden age. They were extremely fortunate to live that life, cover the Pacific and Africa as they did, and especially to share it as a couple. What a great piece of luck that they found each other. My only sorrow is Martin's early taking. With more longevity and secure funding, they could have easily tripled their adventures. What a life!

I appreciate the heads up, and the museum will go on the "to do" list right now. Thank you, 1Minute

1Minute
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thank you for sharing. I remember watching a program around 1955. One of the episodes that sticks in my mind is Osa taking an elephant with a frontal brain shot. Must have been very confident as I remember she fired, and then looked back at the camera with a huge grin grin

Fond memories of the dim historic past cool

Jim
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Thanks, Bob.

Glad you got to go (for us / me)

Barry

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

122 members (264mag, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 24 invisible), 1,201 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,473
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.