Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2889696 03/16/09
bxroads Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The rifle is built around a McMillan USMC M40A1 with matching bottom metal. The below pictured trigger mod is required. I'd like a pull weight in the 8 - 12 oz range. To my knowledge there is no trigger capable of this pull weight that will accomodate the trigger mod.

It appears that the Jard replacement sear and trigger will fit and I can get the appropriate weight. I've read a recent thread on the Jard and nearly everyone that tried it said that it was junk. No one really elaborated so I don't know what the issues were.

If it were your only option for an 8 oz trigger, would you pass on it for a proven 2 lb trigger?

If you know of another trigger that will work, by all means, please speak up!

Thanks

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by bxroads; 03/16/09.
GB1

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I won't say if you should or shouldn't buy it but this is my experience with Jard.

I have a Non-adjustable Jard 1.5 lb trigger. It's just like a military trigger but it breaks at about 3 lbs Not the 1.5 lbs it's advertised at. They claim they all vary a bit but twice as hard as advertised? Come on.

I found the parts to be very rough on the Jard and need A LOT of filing and polishing to even work, not work smooth we're talking work at all! The release on mine needed a lot of filing also to make it work. I consider the Jard more of a kit than a finished product.

After trying to deal with Jard's customer service I will never buy another thing from this company nor would I recommend them to anyone. If you need customer service you fill out a form on thier web page and hit the send buttom and wait for a response. I did that 3 times in November. I have yet to hear back from them! I ran a search on the campfire and found I wasn't the only one that's had trouble with this company.

Well, there it is. If it was my rifle I think you know what I would do.

Terry

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
From memory that rifle is basically a Remington 700. That sure looks like an ADL magazine and 700 trigger. If so you may have a lot more options than you realize.

I put Jard "guts" in a 700 trigger housing. That was a friggin' disaster. I never could get it right. I probably should have returned it, but instead I'm going to give it to a gunsmith friend. That SOB outshot me the other day. This is going to be my revenge. smile

Someone else said "never again" to Jard. I won't go quite that far. I have one of their 10/22 assemblies with a 1 pound pull. It is SWEET.

There is a 700 trigger by Rifle Basix with a 4 to 20 ounce range. The pull is not too bad. I hate the safety, it's just nasty, but for bench shooting w/o using the safety it's modestly ok.

If you really need to go on the cheap, I would contact Neil Jones. last I checked he was doing triggers down to 1 pound for $65 including return shipping. He's done several for me in the past and they are superb. But if you want an awesome trigger, stop wasting money on half measures and just buy yourself a Jewell HVR ... after comfirming the 700 trigger fits your action of course!

Tom

Last edited by T_O_M; 03/16/09.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
bxroads Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
TOM, it is a Rem 700 action. The problem with the Rifle Basix trigger that you mentioned is that the design is different than the factory 700 trigger and the trimming modification (pictured above) can't be performed because there are parts in the way. Only trigger designs that do not have parts in the area of the cut out will work.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Call Shilen about a new spring kit. TOM is right with the Neil Jones adjustment, I bet Bob can make the adjustments for about $50.00.Get him to respring it and clean up the internals. I have the same trigger and it will go down to around a heavy pound, they break like a glass rod, they are a PIA to adjust.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i tried 2 700 kits, after 4 montha on one and 11 months on the 2nd they both felt gritty and pulled harder than original, when i took them apart both trigger and sear surfaces looked like someone was flint napping on the edges(like an obsidian arrowhead). i called jard sent the stuff back and took over a year to get my money back,,,,, not what i would call a good product or customer service... but thats my opinon...

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'll happily send you my Jard trigger for free, though not sure how well it will work any longer after I beat the SOB with a hammer so as to not be tempted to use it again.

Last edited by Steelhead; 03/16/09.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
bxroads Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I guess I know where I stand with you. In my research I saw where you wouldn't even wish it on Brad!

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I had a Rem 700 in 300 RUM with a Basix Trigger. I used that rifle on a Black Bear hunt. One specific Black Bear didn't like Basix triggers.... My heavy Varmint rifle is a Rem 700 it has a Jewell trigger. Its well worthy of its name.

bxroads Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Roger that, but the deal is that none of those will accept the required modification referred to in my first post.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 16 invisible), 1,634 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.