Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good

[Linked Image from ]
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Throw the rope over the house and tie it to something on the other side.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like the Ladder Day Saints have been watching over several of you.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Tree stands, for you guys that use em.
Be aware and use a good body harness.

Always hearing every fall about tree stand falls.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Sounds like the Ladder Day Saints have been watching over several of you.

🤣🤣

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by renegade50

Originally Posted by renegade50

Yep, fall arrest systems are one of the most important subjects we teach in Hunter Safety. Personally, I don’t use screw ins, climbers, or portable ladder sections anymore. Ladder stand with prussic line attached from when I leave the ground to when I get back down.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Steve
...Hurts a lot more when you're 60 than when you're 16.

Wait until your 71 and do it..I ended up in the ER from falling off my truck camper a month ago...Laid out there yelling for the wife watching TV loudly and I could not get up...She brought me some crutches because it messed up my knee and I made it in the house..Then the pain just kept getting worse to where I couldn't stand it and to the ER we went...Knee pain sux and no elective surgery's going on around here so I now have a snap crackle and pop everytime I get up,but no pain...LOL

Old age is a blast for sure...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Ex-husband of my wife's friend lost his leg below the knee when an extension ladder collapsed down and got his leg.

I don't even go in treestands.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ConradCA
Throw the rope over the house and tie it to something on the other side.

...but, NOT the receiver hitch on the wife’s SUV - unless you take her keys up the ladder with you.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I recovered. Neck still a bit stiff, but not bad.

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Holy smokes Steve, I just read all 5 pages of your thread and it scared me a whole bunch. Probably better that I finished putting up the gutter toppers last weekend. My right collar bone xray looks like the peaks of the Sidney Australia opera house. Years ago I broke that in three places and piled it up on itself from a ladder incident. My first and only ride in a rescue squad. Cutting a big limb with a chainsaw that swung around like a pendulum and took the ladder out from under me. Doc told me that people that slip in the shower break their collar bone. People that fall as far as I did die.

A question for you more skilled ladder using people. When do you use those rubber cleated rectangular feet on the bottom of your extension ladder and when do you flip them 90 degrees to use the cleats that would dig into the ground? Should you use the flat rectangular ones on bare ground or just only on a hard surface?

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I worked for a roofing company for a while. We were required to tie off all ladders. However, on most houses, there's nothing to tie to. I've seen ropes tied to rain gutters and about everything else. Most tieoffs won't help a bit to prevent a fall. What it mainly accomplishes is keeping the ladder from sliding off the roof and leaving you stranded up there.

Been reroofing my house using an extension ladder to get up on the roof. I cheated, I extended it 4' above the roof, drilled holes thru the feet and use deck screws to screw it to the deck.laid a 2x4 along the front of the fascia and screwed it down after which I drilled holes in the ladder rails screw the ladder to the 2x4 on the fascia. I am 65 can't afford any dumb mistakes, so far so good. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Set this against the house and it collapsed. I guess you are not supposed to do it.

[Linked Image from wess.freeshell.org]

It was about 3 weeks before I could raise my right arm above my shoulder.

I try to work out of skylifts now.

Last edited by Szumi; 07/26/20.
F
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
F
If I can"t Fix it, Paint it, Cut it or Reach it with a 10ft ladder I hire someone else to do it and have a beer. All my ladders are the 300lbs+ rated.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Windfall
Holy smokes Steve, I just read all 5 pages of your thread and it scared me a whole bunch. Probably better that I finished putting up the gutter toppers last weekend. My right collar bone xray looks like the peaks of the Sidney Australia opera house. Years ago I broke that in three places and piled it up on itself from a ladder incident. My first and only ride in a rescue squad. Cutting a big limb with a chainsaw that swung around like a pendulum and took the ladder out from under me. Doc told me that people that slip in the shower break their collar bone. People that fall as far as I did die.

A question for you more skilled ladder using people. When do you use those rubber cleated rectangular feet on the bottom of your extension ladder and when do you flip them 90 degrees to use the cleats that would dig into the ground? Should you use the flat rectangular ones on bare ground or just only on a hard surface?

Don't use those rectangular rubber cleated feet on the ground. Flip them up and use the bottom of the ladder itself, it will dig into the ground.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Fell off of a 32 footer while working on windows,luckily I was on the bottom rung.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 15 invisible), 2,220 guests, and 717 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,667
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.