Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rem141r
Well i got my notice last week. not a total surprise but still a kick in the nuts. spent a lot of time soul searching. i'm 59, debt free, we have lived well below our means and while not rich, could swing it if push comes to shove, big unknowns aside. what i have is what i saved, no pension or anything like that. still wanted to work til 62 to buy some big ticket items though which i am not going to do unless i get another job. while i am marketable, i am also competing against people half my age, 2/3 my salary and frankly usually quicker learners. my ability to learn new complicated things has diminished in the past 10 or so years and my field changes a lot. i am looking for work but am bracing for the worst. fortunately my company is giving me a pretty good severance pkg which really helps. my emotions run the gamut from scared to happy to hopeful to anxious and all flavors in between. last time this happened was right smack dab in the middle of 2008 recession and i was schitting bricks with kids, mortgage, car payment, etc. totally different feeling now. i haven't enjoyed my line of work for 15 or more years but it pays really well. considering some totally different job but not sure what. most jobs suck and if a job is going to suck, i want it to pay well if possible. i have worked for 45 years and always been a saver. switching to being a spender is disconcerting.

anybody else ever just totally changed jobs at this point? the panhandling gig seems pretty good. just need to stay away from the intersections around clarksville.

I find this thread interesting as it sums up my working life as a blue collar worker.
I always looked at the termination of employment as an opportunity to learn another angle. Now at 58 and another change 5 years ago, I haven't worked a day in the last 5 years as I don't consider it work making more money than I ever have, make my own hours and am in the best physical condition of my life because I'm not beating my body up anymore.
Only debt I have ever had was a mortgage on a home, drove crap, still do. Made the distinction between what do I need and what do I want, big difference.
Its not so much about how much you make as it is how much you spend.

GB1

R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
well as an update, i've been looking for a job for the past couple months in the same field and being very picky. i was prepared to call it quits rather than take another soul crusher. so in the past week i have gotten 3 offers for jobs that don't suck. when it rains it pours and i feel lucky and blessed. i accepted the best one so i will be getting laid off next thursday from Job A and starting Job B on 5 apr. couple of weeks to get some stuff done around here will be nice. hopefully the weather is good. so it looks like i will be putting off retirement for a few more years.

My diploma is a DD214
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Good deal, good luck with the new job.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I hope the new job goes well. I've know several guys our age and a bit older that retired and at first they were concerned about the financial part of it but in watching them they seem to be fine. Also being self-employed is nice, I am. There are allot of risk but not as many as some have you believe. Being debt free puts you in a good spot for moving forward. Something I read, Colonel Sanders was 62 years old when he started selling friend chicken. He was just getting warmed up when many are thinking about sitting down.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad something came up that you’re good with. And I hope you stay good with it for as long as you choose.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Retirement is like fruit; When your'e ripe, you get picked. Nothing fair about it.

Last edited by MM879; 03/13/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim1611
I've known several guys our age and a bit older that retired and at first they were concerned about the financial part of it but in watching them they seem to be fine.
It’s possible that a lotta that is due to fear and worry and doubt. It’s one of life’s biggest changes. Often it involves a change in perspective too. Realizing that there’s more to life than working and earning and spending and acquiring and consuming can be quite liberating.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by MM879
Retirement is like fruit; When your'e ripe, you get picked. Nothing fair about it.

Huh?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by antlers
It’s possible that a lotta that is due to fear and worry and doubt. It’s one of life’s biggest changes. Often it involves a change in perspective too. Realizing that there’s more to life than working and earning and spending and acquiring and consuming can be quite liberating.

100% This!

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've known several guys our age and a bit older that retired and at first they were concerned about the financial part of it but in watching them they seem to be fine.

Well said. Since cutting ties with the "stable" world of employment I've come to see how easy it can be if you go about it the right way. I also think many would be more happy if they did the same. It's not a way of life for everyone but I do believe more folks could do it if they tried. It fits me very well.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well i got my notice last week. not a total surprise but still a kick in the nuts. spent a lot of time soul searching. i'm 59, debt free, we have lived well below our means and while not rich, could swing it if push comes to shove, big unknowns aside. what i have is what i saved, no pension or anything like that. still wanted to work til 62 to buy some big ticket items though which i am not going to do unless i get another job. while i am marketable, i am also competing against people half my age, 2/3 my salary and frankly usually quicker learners. my ability to learn new complicated things has diminished in the past 10 or so years and my field changes a lot. i am looking for work but am bracing for the worst. fortunately my company is giving me a pretty good severance pkg which really helps. my emotions run the gamut from scared to happy to hopeful to anxious and all flavors in between. last time this happened was right smack dab in the middle of 2008 recession and i was schitting bricks with kids, mortgage, car payment, etc. totally different feeling now. i haven't enjoyed my line of work for 15 or more years but it pays really well. considering some totally different job but not sure what. most jobs suck and if a job is going to suck, i want it to pay well if possible. i have worked for 45 years and always been a saver. switching to being a spender is disconcerting.

anybody else ever just totally changed jobs at this point? the panhandling gig seems pretty good. just need to stay away from the intersections around clarksville.

Have you considered setting up your own Web forum? I do think that the time is right for some one to compete with Facebook and some of the other chat rooms that are out there.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If you know how to build websites you could have a nice business.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Best of luck.

Not sure of what kinda IT work you do, check with local community colleges. They may need a part time instructor.

Look at the bright side, Col Sanders was 62 when he started KFC.

i do systems/network admin work but don't have a degree. i would like being an instructor but they all want degrees.

rem, that's a high demand job. You don't say where you're located, but I'm sure you're already aware there are jobs available in your field in larger metropolitan areas - my area, for instance.

Have you thought about doing it as a contractor on gigs? I'm still getting job offers from headhunters and it's been many years. I still know a couple guys doing it to round out their lifetime work investment.

Or, you could do what I did and completely change gears. Went full-on picking up distressed properties and never looked back. Had already been doing it on the side, but dove into the deep end when me and the man decided it was time to part ways.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you want to work for a few more years, I would seriously consider looking at applying with the city, county, sheriff's office etc. I was wanting to relocate but a similar reality set in for me. I know I am a better employee than many of the younger folks but age discrimination is a real thing, especially in the tech world. I just came to grips with that and now just riding my time until I can retire. I'm maxed out on my pay but I have health care etc and a decent salary. And my work ethic will keep me employed far better than some of the no loads working for the government. They typically have rules against discrimination for age. You just have to put up with the garage about diversity and what not, but that's true in 90% of the current pathetic environment anyway. If you get such a job, go to work on time, keep your mouth shut (sometimes a challenge) and get something done, it's almost impossible to lose your job.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
well as an update, i've been looking for a job for the past couple months in the same field and being very picky. i was prepared to call it quits rather than take another soul crusher. so in the past week i have gotten 3 offers for jobs that don't suck. when it rains it pours and i feel lucky and blessed. i accepted the best one so i will be getting laid off next thursday from Job A and starting Job B on 5 apr. couple of weeks to get some stuff done around here will be nice. hopefully the weather is good. so it looks like i will be putting off retirement for a few more years.

Good on you, bud. Best of luck in the new spot.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I went through the same thing last April. I now work at a job 6 rural miles from my door vs. 35 metro, making less than half of what I was and am happier than I have been in a long, long time.

Got a great review yesterday and a bump in pay.

I should have left my old job years ago but didn't realize how much it was sucking the life out of me.

People stay at jobs like that because they get sucked in by the routine, the money etc.

I've learned one very important life lesson:

Life is too short to not be happy going to a place that you spend more time at then with your family.

Good luck with your new gig Rem!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Best of luck. G5M

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Interesting..... I did it exactly backwards from this. My working life I was uber frugal, saved for investing, now I can buy what I want.

Maybe antlers you didn't do it right and are lying to yourself to feel better?

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by irfubar
Interesting..... I did it exactly backwards from this. My working life I was uber frugal, saved for investing, now I can buy what I want. Maybe antlers you didn't do it right and are lying to yourself to feel better?
lol

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (300_savage, 01Foreman400, 257robertsimp, 338Rules, 16penny, 13 invisible), 1,153 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,236
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.