Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J

Did you know that only about a quarter of the water a plant receives is used for growth?

The rest is lost to evaporation.

I am MAGA.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Did you know that only about a quarter of the water a plant receives is used for growth?

The rest is lost to evaporation.

transpiration, eh?

We need to get rid of a few billion junipers here, that would certainly help get our aquifers back in some shape, and help with soil moisture during dry periods. Some sources say 40 gal per day for them sunsabishes.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by KFWA
I've said for years now that water is a national security issue and we should treat it as such.

not in the sense of rationing, but in the sense of capture, diverting and desalinizing to meet the nation's needs for agriculture and residential growth.

Maybe we should look at regulating "residential" growth too?

probably, my focus would be on making sure our agricultural needs are met as the first priority

Last edited by KFWA; 04/20/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
My Dad used to run cows up where Valsdad lives, and the photos from the '20's and '30's show that Junipers were not that plentiful back then, pines were a hundred yards apart. I wonder if the oldtimers and the Injuns kept the rangeland healthy by annual burning in the fall...or the result of over enthusiastic fire suppression hadn't started to show it's downside yet? In any case, we are sure paying the penalty for bad policy now. We have 4 seasons here now, fall, winter, spring and fire.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by flintlocke
My Dad used to run cows up where Valsdad lives, and the photos from the '20's and '30's show that Junipers were not that plentiful back then, pines were a hundred yards apart. I wonder if the oldtimers and the Injuns kept the rangeland healthy by annual burning in the fall...or the result of over enthusiastic fire suppression hadn't started to show it's downside yet? In any case, we are sure paying the penalty for bad policy now. We have 4 seasons here now, fall, winter, spring and fire.

I had a 6 month job in K Falls in the summer of '98, but was a resident of Cali still so I put in for a tag in the Shasta, Tulelake, Tionesta area (X1 now, not sure about back then) and was lucky enough to draw. I hunted around Tionesta/Lava Beds NN a few days. When I moved back this way in 2016 I was stunned at all the 6'-10' junipers covering areas that were open grassland/sagebrush when I was here in '98.

So yeah, I have a sneaky suspicion different human behaviors have had some effect on things like that juniper intrusion that's happening now.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

B
BLG Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Wish we could send some out to the west. We are 10 inches above normal just for the month of April.(that's what she said)

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
B
BLG Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Chicken?

Chicken of the Sea

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Modoc and Lassen and Washoe had a helluva drought back from 1928 to around 1935, little cow and sheep outfits were desperate for grass and water. The little guys had to push their cows continually for years, across other peoples land, government land, keep 'em moving. Big outfits were screaming bloody murder over 'trespass' to the county sheriffs, Forest Service and BLM agents were tearing their hair out trying to keep the grass thieves under control...it was a mess, with hot tempers, fences cut, guns pointed, threats made and received, some arson charged but never proved, bad bitter times. He often said of that time, "We thought the drought would never end, I looked for a buyer, but there weren't any, so I had no decision to make, had to keep going no matter how hopeless it looked".

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lostsixgunner
What does sea lion taste like?

Kinda like a cross between a spotted owl and a desert tortise.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Here on the North Coast we have 65% of all the fresh water in the world flowing leisurely past our doors, and no you can't have any. smile

Talk about making up numbers

Nothing made up.

Ever hear of the Great Lakes?

The Great Lakes pass leisurely past your door?
You live on a boat?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TRnCO
Here on the North Coast we have 65% of all the fresh water in the world flowing leisurely past our doors, and no you can't have any. smile

Nothing made up.

Might have that much of North America's fresh water, but not the world's fresh water.

U.S. EPA
Facts and Figures about the Great Lakes
The Great Lakes are, from west to east: Superior, Michigan, Huron, Erie and Ontario. They are a dominant part of the physical and cultural heritage of North America.

Shared with Canada and spanning more than 750 miles (1,200 kilometers) from west to east, these vast inland freshwater seas provide water for consumption, transportation, power, recreation and a host of other uses.

The Great Lakes are one of the world’s largest surface freshwater ecosystems.

84% of North America's surface fresh water
about 21% of the world's supply of surface fresh water

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by NVhntr

Nothing made up.

The Great Lakes pass leisurely past your door?
You live on a boat?

Ever hear that lakes have shores?

Duh!

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Might need some flown in from Lake Superior when the verdict is announced. I wonder if the air tankers have been staged.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by TRnCO

Nothing made up.

Might have that much of North America's fresh water, but not the world's fresh water.

U.S. EPA
Facts and Figures about the Great Lakes
The Great Lakes are, from west to east: Superior, Michigan, Huron, Erie and Ontario. They are a dominant part of the physical and cultural heritage of North America.

Shared with Canada and spanning more than 750 miles (1,200 kilometers) from west to east, these vast inland freshwater seas provide water for consumption, transportation, power, recreation and a host of other uses.

The Great Lakes are one of the world’s largest surface freshwater ecosystems.

84% of North America's surface fresh water
about 21% of the world's supply of surface fresh water

84%? I didn't know it was quite that high.

21% of the world's water?

Whatever it is, it's more than the 10 western states combined. It all flows East out the St.Lawrence River. It has nothing to do with the Oglala Aquifier, which is declining.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Romans longest aqueduct was around 310 miles long serving Constantinople. They had it figured 700 years ago, you'd think we could figure it out today.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I’d love to have a year with below average rainfall. Nothing but rain for 2 1/2 years.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

727 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 71 invisible), 3,104 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,200
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.