Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for asking.
Much better after a steady drizzle in the evening and throughout the night. Officially, there are at least 60-70 structures (houses) gone, however, there will be many more as the fire ripped through the reservation.

Not sure what is happening elsewhere, but see Merritt has some real problems with fire all around with only one way out of there, and its a poor one.

Presently, I am more concerned that Premier Horgan's vacation is going as planned and he is having a good time wherever he may be, he says he will be back thursday. In a well thought out statement he did thank the First Nations for all their good work.

GB1

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think its clear we need to overhaul the entire way in which we deal with wildfire in BC, from the top down, entirely.
For example, the way in which people are notified of alerts and evacuations is complicated and full of gaping holes, it is completely ineffective.

Bringing in people from other Countries to fight fires seems.....stupid. We have the people here, and completely overlooked the value of our own citizenry, what is wrong with these political masters?.......the political masters is the problem.....they need to separate the political from the practical aspect of forest management.

People see through the scoring political points vrs effective forest management, at least the rural community does, I don't expect City dwellers to understand nor GAF, another reason to make it a separate entity.

I do wonder the kind of society we are creating by not allowing citizens to help their fellow man in a time of crisis, this needs to be looked at before someone gets hurt or worse as people are told to not help others. I have seen people drive through roadblocks with RCMP foolishly hanging off cars trying to stop people from getting to their loved ones.

I could point out some other issue's but they would not be PC....also another massive problem that will explode one day, people are afraid to speak out and be labeled in some of the smaller Communities, but its coming.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
673;
This is the morning check in again sir, hoping all is going more than less okay for you.

We're getting cooler evenings now down here, which is better than hot ones. It's still not rained enough to settle the dust, but it is what it is.

I'm guessing you've seen the part one of this video, but the memo at the beginning of this is pretty telling if you ask me.

We've had this discussion here and on the phone - we have to change how we're fighting fires and do it yesterday.

Was talking with my rancher buddy on the phone yesterday, he's not sure if his cabin is still there or not up in the back of the Nk'Mip Fire. We talked about how the big fire up on Kobau could have been put out by a local rancher/logging contractor who was right there with a D8 cat at the time, but no......

Anyways, you and I are the choir on this issue, but for those interested in what we're living through, it's a wee peak into rural BC life I suppose.

All the best and you're still in my prayers for a safe outcome.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 08/19/21.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Morning Dwayne, it has been a seething pot from the moment they changed policy, people see it now as too political. If we touch on the political for a moment.......the fire area's of BC (the interior) are not supporters of the present Government (NDP).
I do wonder the kind of Community we are building whereby we are prohibited from helping our fellow man in a time of crisis.
There are area's now where people are cleaning their burnt properties and we are not allowed to help.
Contrary to what we have been taught as Canadians by our forefathers....if you know you are to help another and you don't/can't.....that ain't right....but here we are.

It is all about control.

There are over 100 homes burnt, and this fire is still burning and active, it isn't over yet.

I will watch the video, and thank you for posting.

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
We thought the threat of fire was over, nope, they decided to light up an area that was troublesome for them. We were delighted as it turned into an inferno immediately, it was windy.

The original fire died down and was of little concern to us directly, so we put all of our belongings back where they belong about a week ago.
Everyone was wondering how ironic if their planned ignition was going to now burn us out of here.

My friends Son has been out of his home for 5 weeks now, no sign when he can go in and remove the fridge and freezers that are likely full of once thawed meat, then frozen again. Gonna be a long winter for many people whose homes were lost, out buildings, fences, are all gone.

Some questions will need to be addressed like this one......Loggers had the fire contained at 20 acres, they were told to stand down, we will handle it......it is now over 200,000 acres last time I checked.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,555 guests, and 708 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,520
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.