Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Pappy348
My son has had a 6.5 since about when they first came out and likes it. I put five through it and found it pretty lively on the bench as-is, so I’d be leery of digging out the gel until I gave it try as-issued.

Does the gel add any strength or support to the shell, or is it just for sound deadening?

Pretty sure the gel was added just to add weight. Kimber didn't want their "budget" version lighter than the Montana. It shoots sub MOA without the gel. I stuffed the butt stock tight, full of packing peanuts. Added no weight, but got rid of the hollow sound.

BP-B6

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by AKduck
You aren’t breaking that trigger guard without trying.

Yep. I don't get the "it's not a metal trigger guard" crowd. If you did something to that gun hard enough to break that trigger guard, you're in a situation anyway and that will be the least of your worries.

Maybe not the Hunter one, but the RAR .17 I bought a few years ago had the guard broken off in the shipping box, maybe by the bolt that was loose in the box when it landed, but how much impact force could that bolt generate in normal handling? There was no visible damage to the box. Ruger sent me a new stock out pronto, and free of course.

Wonder what it’d take to bust the guard on one of the old boatpaddle 77/22s? That’s some tough stuff.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by longshot3
My son has had a 6.5 since about when they first came out and likes it. I put five through it and found it pretty lively on the bench as-is, so I’d be leery of digging out the gel until I gave it try as-issued.

Does the gel add any strength or support to the shell, or is it just for sound deadening?

Pretty sure the gel was added just to add weight. Kimber didn't want their "budget" version lighter than the Montana. It shoots sub MOA without the gel. I stuffed the butt stock tight, full of packing peanuts. Added no weight, but got rid of the hollow sound.

Not the water-soluble ones I hope!😜

Last edited by Pappy348; 09/29/22.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by longshot3

Not the water-soluble ones I hope!😜

Lol! Nope!

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Anyone have issues with surface rust on the barrel? Years back I looked at buying a Kimber Hunter in .243 but the brand new rifle the shop had, had surface rust on the barrel even in the factory plastic bag. I ended up buying a Winchester Model 70 FTW in .243.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by MannMade82
Anyone have issues with surface rust on the barrel? Years back I looked at buying a Kimber Hunter in .243 but the brand new rifle the shop had, had surface rust on the barrel even in the factory plastic bag. I ended up buying a Winchester Model 70 FTW in .243.

Never had a rust issue on any of mine. Although they do get an Eezox wipedown once a year.

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
The older Montana’s would get some nasty discoloration. I think it was determined they were bead blasting with the same stuff they used on cm stuff which left trace amounts of cm on the ss. My newer one doesn’t suffer from it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ran into a guy that had one of the Longmaster 84 rifles with the SS barrel and he found the same thing regarding the CM steel particles embedded in the finish.

Now with even more aplomb
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm a huge fan of my Hunter in .270. I had an 8400 Montana that just didn't ever feel right in the hand. This cured that. I'd like a stiffer stock but for $1000 more? I think no. I got the real tree with KimPro. I might paint the stock sometime but that's about it

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
97 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, Akpilot, 13 invisible), 1,757 guests, and 769 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,701
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.