Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Lots of good reading.

I like to pretend to be reading while the house is cleaned all around me.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John prine sang a song about it…

I do like the funnies in it.

Right size for keeping your hunting pack.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
We have a stack. We never throw them away

I dont know why. We save guldens mustard jars too

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Been getting it for years...good shiet.

But i pitch them every 6 months or so........No hoarding for me...

Grammar is important.
Capitol letters are the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" & "helping your uncle jack off a horse".
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
We took them at one time, not anymore

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
it isn't the mag it was tears ago. My wife gets it and it is half of what it used to be.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I awlays found it to hard too chew!! crazy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back in the 70's, a friend's grandmother passed away.
When they were cleaning out her house, there were stacks and stacks of Readers Digest laying around.
They sacked up and tossed several stacks.
Dan picked up one and was thumbing through it and found a $20 and several other bills amounting to over $100! Thumbing through the stacks, they discovered several thousand dollars stuffed into pages of the old Digests.
Seems the old gal grew up during the Great Depression and didn't trust banks, so she stuffed her savings between the pages.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My grandfather had Readers Digest books when he died in 1965

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First time I ever saw black, tribal titters, was in Reader’s Digest.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Read every months edition cover-to-cover in the High School Library during the 1960’s..

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thank you all for helping put a Daughter through College. Beneficiary of the Reader's Digest Endowment at her College. Biochem degree.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
it isn't the mag it was tears ago. My wife gets it and it is half of what it used to be.

Exactly.

We all are witnessing the slow death of print media. The Times are changing, we have a shorter attention span and life is coming at us at a faster pace, with a greater emphasis on immediate concerns instead of "yesterday's news". Reader's Digest is getting thinner while their diminished number of readers age.

It's hard for printed copy to be on topic and electronic media has incredible agility, able to switch to the most recent news and stories, delivering that fresh message immediately.

Reader's Digest is actually holding on longer than many other magazines, like Time, Saturday Evening Post, News Week, etc. The advent of podcasts and streaming will further erode the readership, and advertising revenue, of print media.

The paper boy gave way to instant pundits, Tik Tock influencers and talking heads.

R I P

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I’m an avid reader and even had a subscription while in HS. When my my Dad passed away from a stroke, we 5 kids met at his house to prepare for a yard and estate sale. We found all his firearms but a nickel plated H & R 32 revolver that I had given him as a truck gun. A black guy I worked with had found it in the middle of the road on the way to work (supposedly). He needed some cash for a Super Bowl party and I gave him $25 for it. I cleaned it up, replaced the road rashed grips with some I made and gave it to him. In his home, there was a built in cubbyhole near a wall mounted phone. A Readers Digest condensed book was in the cubbyhole. Dad had taken a razor blade and had made a secret compartment that contained the 32 in the book. They say the pen is mightier than the sword but he had a backup plan. Ed McMhon never showed in my drive with a Publisher’s Clearing House check neither!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

That and the fact that it became a copy of "Prevention" - most articles are something along the lines of "You're probably dying of this.".

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
365 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 36 invisible), 2,292 guests, and 960 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,884
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.