-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Any other Swede shooters like shooting the old 96 better than the shorter 38s and Husquvarnas made in the early 40s? I've got one of each, a 1902 96 in VG condition I've had for a few years and a 1942 Husqvarna in VG+. condition I got not quite a year ago, I found I shoot the 96 better, probably the longer sight plane and sights and I also liked it's handling and balance better,

Last edited by 43Shooter; 02/25/23. Reason: wrong date
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
How's your old 96 doing? I imagine you got your front sight figured out? What loads did you decide on? Come on man, enquiring minds.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So far those 156 gr semi flat nose PPUs with mid wt. loads of 4064 shoot as well and better some days than anything else including 140 Hornady "Match" bullets. I'm sure there's better component combinations out there but that's what I've got and they shoot well enough for the kind of non competitive shooting I do. I'm probably short changing the Husqvarna by not trying other loads but I'd hate to spend the money on different bullets and powder and find out there was no improvement.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I recently joined the '96 club with a husky 46A. It's a great action and lighter than the 98

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
So far those 156 gr semi flat nose PPUs with mid wt. loads of 4064 shoot as well and better some days than anything else including 140 Hornady "Match" bullets. I'm sure there's better component combinations out there but that's what I've got and they shoot well enough for the kind of non competitive shooting I do. I'm probably short changing the Husqvarna by not trying other loads but I'd hate to spend the money on different bullets and powder and find out there was no improvement.

Good info. I bought some of those bullets a while back as well. Was a pretty dang good deal for a bag of them, so I bought 200. Yet to load any up though. I'll remember to keep 4064 in mind. Generally I just load whatever cheaper bullet in my 96 because it does so well. Back when the 140gr Barnes match burners were easy to find and cheap, I had good luck with those. I do agree, I like shooting my long rifle vs. the shorter m38. The longer barreled m96 balances very well, for as long as that barrel is and very easy to shoot offhand.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The first sporter I built about 45 years ago as a gift for my father was on a 96 Carl Gustaf. I shortened the barrel 5 inches, tapered it in a lathe, installed a Timney trigger, and put it in a Reinhardt Fajen stock. 20-something years later, I inherited it when he passed on. Between the two of us it's put a truckload of Tennessee deer on the ground with Nosler 125 grain partition bullets. I've also got a Husqvarna model 38 that's a little better machined than the Carl G.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shoot a lot of CMP military rifle matches, in fact, CMP Western Games is coming up in a few weeks I need to enter that. I have won the Vintage Military Rifle match once at least at CMPWG... of course, using a M96 as issued. it is the BEST of all the milsurp bolt actions for ease of shooting and accuracy. (that square post front sight really helps, especially in the longer sight radius all 1890's era guns had.

ya'll shoot good!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bill Poole
I shoot a lot of CMP military rifle matches, in fact, CMP Western Games is coming up in a few weeks I need to enter that. I have won the Vintage Military Rifle match once at least at CMPWG... of course, using a M96 as issued. it is the BEST of all the milsurp bolt actions for ease of shooting and accuracy. (that square post front sight really helps, especially in the longer sight radius all 1890's era guns had.

ya'll shoot good!

Before I bought a rifle for my clubs military rifle matches, I did a lot of research. The advice often given was if you want to win, buy a good m96. That's what I did and afterwards, had a couple master class shooters, from the big city, trying to buy it from me. Those guys are funny as schidt. One would set up his spotting scope behind me and watch. I didn't mind putting on a show for him, but I for damn sure was not going to sell it to anyone!!!

BSA MAGA
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Husqvarna rifles are great. Husqvarna nomenclature sux! Of the '96 based action commercial genre, my favorite from forties era production featuring solid left sidewall as a personal preference. I have several such in 8mm, factory original nomenclature but exact chambering I haven't found listed in Sky model index. Several bought ultra cheap in lot as each with lightly rusted bottom metal.
Last such type acquired, a really nice specimen 46AN in 9.3x62, clean & all original, All of this sub-model I've encountered, a bit clunky factory sporting stock configs unlike the description I've read of "lightweight stocks". Yet as no doubt mine factory.

I'm completely good with the cock on closing config and of particular merit as "simpler". I never met a P17 Enfield or its commercial Model 30 successor early iteration with COC; such that I'd wish to modify!

Congrats on your rifle!
Best!
John

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I think that the 160-grain Hornady roundnose would surprise in the older 96 - mine shoots them better than anything else I've tried.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Agreed. I haven't been able to find the 160 Hornady RNs for a few years but those 156 gr PPUs shoot well in mine.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I think both Lapua & Norma make 156 hunting bullets.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Had both, my 38 was near pristine, and my 96 had a sewer pipe barrel, couldn’t get it to shine no matter how much I cleaned it. Guess which shot more accurately, the 96 did.

I hunted coyotes with the 38 since it was a little easier to haul around.

Love the 6.5 x 55!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Ditto my experience about the same don't miss the 38 but the 96 was great.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 16penny, 59 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,308
Posts18,468,178
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.