Print Thread
Hop To
J
jt402 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
In my " good junk" stash, I have a couple of barrels that appear to be for a 1903 Springfield. They are new, still in the cosmoline and cardboard tubing. The writing is gone, but I dug deep enough to see the forged front sight holder and a four groove barrel.

I am not trying to get rich, but what are these worth? Thanks, jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
$200-250. Restorers look for these. What are the dates?

J
jt402 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Dusty, I just looked at the packing again. They are wrapped in wax papers not a tube as I originally said. The only writing that I can read is " barrel assembly". The cosmoline blots out the stamping. Should I clean a spot and check, or just leave it alone. IIRC, the date stamp is near the front sight??? Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
The date stamp would determine a fair amount of its value. A pre-war dated barrel still in cosmoline would be worth a fair bit more than a wartime barrel. Finish, inside and out, and manufacturing tolerances were more closely held on pre-war barrels. How much more valuable is pretty subjective though.

Pre-war '03 barrels harken back to the days when the Springfield ruled the roost. Wartime barrels harken back to the days when quantity beat quality. Making a product that could obliterate the 10-ring wasn't as important as a product that could put a lot of lead in the general direction of a bunch of SS Grenadiers.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 01/03/13.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
jt402 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Again, I am not conversant with 1903 collecting and such, but were not the four grove bbls pre- war? Or must I clean to look ( and where-I do not want to clean the whole barrel.) These came from an old family friend from San Antonio, who was a rifle looney, and I suspect they are the good stuff. Jack

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jt402
Again, I am not conversant with 1903 collecting and such, but were not the four grove bbls pre- war? Or must I clean to look ( and where-I do not want to clean the whole barrel.) These came from an old family friend from San Antonio, who was a rifle looney, and I suspect they are the good stuff. Jack

Start about 1/4 " back from the front sight boss, on TOP of the barrel, and clean a small spot, working your way back towards the breech end. You should not need to cclean a patch much bigger than a nickle to find the Mfg and Dates .

Luck

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Remington (RA) made four groove barrels during the early part of WWII, as did Springfield Armory (SA).

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Not looking to buy anything of this nature at the moment, but I am curious as to what you found.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
jt402 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Been out for a while. Both are definately four groove. one has an ordinance mark (ball with a wing or flame) and dated 2-43. The other is dated 2-44. I did not notice the ordinance mark on this one-not to say it is not there. They are wrapped alike. the cosmoline is still soft. The machining on the '43 appears to be finer. jack

Last edited by jt402; 01/03/13.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
There should be two letters stamped above the ordnance bomb. Given the dates on the barrels, I'd imagine the letters will be "RA" for Remington Arms.

IC B3

J
jt402 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Both barrels are Remington and apparently intended for 1093-A3. The '43 shows rather nice machining. The '44 shows more machine marks. Jack

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 12344mag, 72 invisible), 2,705 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,958
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.