Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Dooger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I'm a bolt action guy looking at getting my first AR. Thinking about a 6920, maybe the Magpul edition.

Question: Can the front sight be removed without a hacksaw? Would you just need a different gas block? Is the sight pinned? If you put a lower power scope on the gun with the sight still on, can it be see through the scope or would it really depend on how high the mount was?

Thanks in advance and forgive me...

ARIC

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You'll be surprised how little the front sight shows up thru the scope. Won't notice until turned down to lowest power, and than its no big deal. Wondered the same thing when I bought an AR with the front sight. I don't think it will bother you at all.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
sounds to me like you want a totally different gun. the 6920 is a basic ar 15 that is overpriced IMO. its got the colt name on it and little else, comes with milspec parts etc. 10 years ago it may of had something. now days there are so many cheaper guns that offer more and are just as reliable. I would get a RRA. even though all I do are customs that are pieced together from the parts I select. I have a RRA carbine that IS NOT going anywhere nor will it be touched beyond new furniture etc. shoots just about everything you can feed it decent and to the same relative POI. a buddy ordered the same thing his gun sat unfired for a few years last fall we took it out and got it dialed in. same story shoots just as good.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
There's nothing wrong with the 6920, but there are also other choices. You'll read about milspec parts and that's a good thing because at least they meet some specification for quality. There are really bad parts available, also. They seem to be less frequent nowadays.

The Ruger AR is good. It's cheaper. You've read about RRA. They have a good reputation. For a few dollars more than the Colt you can buy a Daniel Defense and they also are very good. Just check on some reviews as some companies have reputations for NOT standing behind their products.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Look for a 6920 "OEM-2" model. It comes with a low profile gas block, and no furniture, so you can dress it up however you like.

auction:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/614451650

(this auction is too high priced, you can find them cheaper)

This is mine, after adding the Troy rail and furniture...

[Linked Image]

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

D
Dooger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
sounds to me like you want a totally different gun. the 6920 is a basic ar 15 that is overpriced IMO. its got the colt name on it and little else, comes with milspec parts etc. 10 years ago it may of had something.

I hear ya, I really do. But it seems like a good deal for $800-$850. The M&P Sport II's and Ruger's I'm seeing are $600. May as well step up a bit for the money.

D
Dooger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Look for a 6920 "OEM-2" model. It comes with a low profile gas block, and no furniture, so you can dress it up however you like.

auction:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/614451650

(this auction is too high priced, you can find them cheaper)

This is mine, after adding the Troy rail and furniture...

[Linked Image]

Thanks Tex. I thought about possibly doing that too. Bud's has them for $718.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Agree on the 6920 OEM-2

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
D
Dooger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Leaning that's way the more I look. I'd only need about $125 in furniture/mag. It'd help me get to know the system a bit too.

I like the CTR buttstock and would probably just get a MOE hand guard and enhanced trigger guard for now.

I emailed my FFL to see if he could get one for a decent price.

Thanks

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I have a new 6920 OEM-2 if you're interested.....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Also, there are many different calibers possible in an AR. I just completed mine in a .450Bushmaster. Mine is scoped with no other sights at this time, but i expect to add fold down sights as well.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes it is pinned and you can remove it without a hacksaw by driving the pins out.

Cutting off the front sight and bayonet lug is easily done with a hacksaw and dremel. It's about a half hour job.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Dooger

For that price that must be the Colt Expanse model. That's a little different animal.

One too many hobbies....
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by covejeepsxj
Originally Posted by Dooger

For that price that must be the Colt Expanse model. That's a little different animal.

No - Bud's has had the OEM-2 priced as low as $685 on clearance, it's the correct rifle he's looking for.

Several vendors at the last large gun show had the OEMs for under $800 on the table.

With Shot Show going on, the bigger vendors are usually freeing up cash from inventory for the new models at are released for pre-order/orders at the show. It's a good time for deals, I've seen several vendors with Ruger Americans in standard calibers at $249-$270.

Last edited by AH64guy; 01/17/17.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
At those prices an OEM-2 is a no brainer. I wouldn't even look at anything else.

And if you decide you don't like AR's, the Colt will sting the least if you sell it.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
My apologies! I am headed off to find them now! If I can find them I will wish I left my CC at home!

One too many hobbies....
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Cove - "Had" is the key word here, they are sold out at Bud's.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Cove - "Had" is the key word here, they are sold out at Bud's.

10-4! Well that saved my wallet another dent!

One too many hobbies....
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Yes it is pinned and you can remove it without a hacksaw by driving the pins out.

Cutting off the front sight and bayonet lug is easily done with a hacksaw and dremel. It's about a half hour job.

And that pretty much makes an OEM-1 into an OEM-2.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With so many different configurations of AR's available, it makes no sense to buy one and modify it. Either buy one that is configured how you want it, or build it the way you want it. Swapping out parts is just pizzing money away.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
670 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 76 invisible), 2,756 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,640
Posts18,399,000
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.