Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
As we finish up our build I'm looking for a DIY wireless (not opposed to wired) security system that is expandable. There seems to be a lot of systems out there and many of them will sync with other brand devices. Mainly I'm looking for the following:

- WiFi capable to get alerts on my phone and ability to arm and disarm remotely
- Battery backup
- a couple cameras, maybe expandable
- motion sensor with siren
- ability to add door and window sensors, glass break sensors, etc
- reasonably priced professional 24/7 mointoring capability

Anyone installed anything like this? What do you recommend? I'd prefer to start relatively simple and be able to expand.

BP-B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Is it too late to wire your house(already sheetrocked)??? The glassbreak and motion detectors can be put in (wired) later, but getting wired sensors on all doors and windows needs to be done before.

Putting wireless sensors on all doors and windows CAN get cost prohibitive if you've got alot, at which point, you end up with mainly glassbresk/shock sensors and motion sensors. The problem with that (incomplete door/window sensors)is that you can't arm the motion sensors when you're home, and if someone quietly jimmies a door/window open at night when you're home, you get no alarm.

As far as DIY wireless, there's plenty on the market. FWIW, my in-laws put in a Simpli-Safe system, and have been happy with it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My security system...[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
My son uses the Simply safe system also.
wireless, uses mobile phone for monitored communication and can be installed by anyone then removed and reinstalled if the owner moves to a different place.

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 03/21/17.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Here's my .02:

Start by having a few professional outfits (guys like ADT) come out and do a home survey as an interested buyer. It should be free, and after listening to all of them and weeding through the BS, you'll learn:

1) What they'd intend to install and why (and hopefully the up-sell stuff will be obvious)

2) You'll get educated on camera and sensor technology. As everything you can about camera resolutions, Power over Ethernet (PoE) vs. legacy BNC, vs other connectivity options. Glass break sensors can stick on windows or mount in the rooms (and use different technologies), each have advantages and disadvantages.... There is a lot to learn and comprehend if you really want to take an active role in the end architecture.

3) Ask about your local jurisdictions alarm monitoring rules. The entity that a call center monitoring your home would notify is called an Authority Having Jurisdiction ("AHJ"). These are similar to, and usually related to the 911 call centers in your city. Many have strict registration and license requirements for supporting your remote-monitored home, which may include fines for false alarms. BE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND YOUR AHJ'S RULES BEFORE DIVING INTO REMOTE PROFESSIONAL MONITORING!

The alarm company doing the sales call should have 100% understanding of those requirements. Data mine that info from them the best you can.

Finally, remote monitoring via a smart phone app is a crap shoot and usually finicky with true DIY.

My final advice would be this:

1) Consider a traditional alarm company to do the full install - let them crawl up in your attic and pull wires. If you agree to pay the monthly monitoring fee, the equipment should come at a discount and a nice the remote monitoring app that is tested and supported should be included. They will monitor your system as advertised.

2) Alternatively, you could pay for everything above to get the discount on the equipment, and pay for (**but not use**) the remote monitoring (my suggestion)

3) True DIY. Buy a system from some retailer, set it up, take your chances with the included app, and not really have the set-up monitored real time but record everything, including some motion detection, etc.

I chose #3. It's OK, but if I had to do it over, I'd go #2, above.

HTH. Lots to learn and this was just an overview. Let me know if you have any questions,

--Duck911

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by benchman

beautiful dog, but a baseball bat will disable him very quickly.

i have read MANY stories where that was the case!

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Sheetrock is up so wireless would be better. I looked into a local security installer for a wired system but his price for cameras was way high. I just couldn't spend that for a limited system with no cameras.

Glass break and glass sensors really isn't that big of a deal as most of the windows are high enough that they can't be easily accessed without a ladder. I'm more interested in motion operated cameras and a motion activated alarm for when we aren't home. There's so many systems out there now with his that can be upgraded and reviews are all over the place.

I've look led into Simplisafe, Frontpoint (which my brother just installed), Canary, Blink, Iris, Abode, Scout and some others I'm sure I've missed. I'd rather have an integrated camera/alarm and not have to split the camera and alarms up but may not be able to do so with a DIY kit and get what I want.

Thanks for the advice so far, just soaking it all in now. I want to make sure we get what we need and it is functional, that's why I like the new hub style systems that are expandable with IFTTT devices.

Last edited by UNCCGrad; 03/21/17.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap

beautiful dog, but a baseball bat will disable him very quickly.

i have read MANY stories where that was the case!

If he's anything like mine, that lime green thing next to his left paw is a security disable device.

Carpe' Scrotum
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U

We have a yellow lab too but she's probably going to end up as a basement(mancave)/ outside dog. I dot know that we can battle the hair anymore in the new house. She's a really great guard dog though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I looked at installing a system myself versus letting a company do it. Found a local guy that installs and services his systems. I let him do it, and the cost was not that much. I suspect he makes his money on the monthly charge, about 10 bucks. I don't have alarms on the windows, but have them on all doors, and have motion detectors throughout the house, plus smoke alarms.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
530 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 48 invisible), 2,560 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,401,021
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.