Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Have not noticed any more or any less up here.

I am MAGA.
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
One year we will be almost alone in the same area. (Deep Lake CO), then the next year it will be wall to wall. Our group is old, so it is as much a camping trip as hunt. As for Colorado raising fees, they merged the parks and wildlife to cover over misuse of Pitman Bowes, and to "streamline" the gov. The parks never have enough money, game did until the merger.

If they raise fees, I will have to consider whether it is worth it. I feel for the out of staters who come, and I have even met a few who also had a bear license just in case. The traffic is worse every year if you have to leave from the front range. The high trespass fees, and probably salting on private land moves animals, too.

Antelope takes 5 years to draw for my area, and the local contact is gone to boot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JoeBob
The rural lifestyle kept the hunting culture alive. It's gone now. Even most really rural kids live what could more accurately be called a suburban lifestyle. Hunting is at its heart for those who don't have to hunt to live, a hobby, a form of entertainment. There is lots of competition today for the time and the dollar. Dads working fifty and sixty hours a week don't have time to take kids out and when they do, it is to a sterile box more likely than not. Kids don't roam the woods with .22s anymore. If they did, they would likely get called in for trespassing and their parents turned in to CPS.

My dad worked a lot and didn't have the interest for hunting when I was a kid. He took me just enough to get it started and I did the rest. Kids don't have that opportunity anymore.

Spot on JB. Kids today have so many things they can do that hunting isn't a big draw anymore.

I work with about a dozen younger guys and while many of them love to shoot and know firearms, very few would be considered hunters. Most don't even go during the season.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Why do I keep reading that the amount of licensed hunters is going down each year, but I keep seeing more and more hunters in the woods? I speak generically, but it seems most articles I read are that we need to get more people involved in hunting so it's not a lost sport. Need to introduce youth to the sport, teach women to hunt, take a friend, all to show them how to hunt and share the sport so it's not lost as the older generations stop hunting. At the same time, I see more and more hunters in the woods and less and less game. Even more so, my state of Colorado wants to raise tag fees significantly. I can literally pay double the fee and see half the game - what gives????

because city people read where to go on fourms like this

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
In Colorado,all that don't draw a tag in other states l wind up here.CPW advertises they have more elk than any other state to draw in those nonresidents so CPW can sell all the unlimited tags they want to.Of course it is never mentioned that a lot of those elk are on private land and a lot more head to private land the first day of hunting season.

This big increase of back packing archery hunters is a big thing now. A lot of those foot hunters take up the closer to the road hunting areas within 3miles , further back in you don't see as many. Most of them know they can't hump an elk out on their back for 6-8 miles with out the meat spoiling so I think you see more of them concentrated.Same thing with 1st season foot hunters. I see very few hunters in the 2nd season and a lot more archery hunters during muzzle loader season

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Appreciate everyone's comments. I'm seeing a trend that the east and midwest hunter populations might be declining a little, and the western states are becoming a popular destination for archery and rifle hunts. That explains the seemingly increasing population of hunters here. Whatever the reason, it's seriously getting out of control in CO.

I do have to disagree though about the age of hunters, well at least in Colorado elk seasons. Very seldom do I see grey-haired anybody outside of camp. In the woods it's 20's to early 50s mostly. And more and more so, it's younger hunters, especially bow season. Walking miles a day up and down mountains at 10,000' isn't an old man sport. In fact, I'd say it's becoming more and more of an athletic event which I think is adding to the appeal. It's not a box-stand, on a lease, overlooking a feeder. In some cases, it can be a real physical challenge and adventure. Despite all the bad things I can see about millennials, they do tend to like organic food. I've noticed that gardening and hunting (though to a lesser degree) are appealing to them for that reason.

I am strongly considering getting back to my childhood roots and pulled out the recurve this last weekend. Definitely not a permanent skill like riding a bike. Talk about rusty. Worst case I resort to the Matthews DXT. In any case an over-the-counter, archery B-tag is on the radar for this year - literally for the single purpose of enjoying the woods with less hunters.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Come to think of it Mountain10MM , most of the guys that go to Co. are younger guys. Seems right on, they use it as a camping, hiking, bow hunting trip.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
[quote=Mountain10mm Very seldom do I see grey-haired anybody outside of camp. In the woods it's 20's to early 50s mostly.
[/quote]
You don't hunt where I do then You just can't see us old farts from the road

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by saddlesore
[quote=Mountain10mm Very seldom do I see grey-haired anybody outside of camp. In the woods it's 20's to early 50s mostly.

You don't hunt where I do then You just can't see us old farts from the road
[/quote]
Good for you! I'm not in old fart category yet, but not far away, that's for sure.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have one guy under 50 that goes with us. He is 27. He is the son on one of the regulars. He has been coming since he was 17.
I urged him to get a group of guys his age to start coming but he claims he has tried and there is little interest. I look for him to drop out as he has started a family and has access to hunting ground where he lives. Younger guys are not taking up deer hunting and many older guys are looking for a easier hunt than walking in the big timber and then dragging game out.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
We have one guy under 50 that goes with us. He is 27. He is the son on one of the regulars. He has been coming since he was 17.
I urged him to get a group of guys his age to start coming but he claims he has tried and there is little interest. I look for him to drop out as he has started a family and has access to hunting ground where he lives. Younger guys are not taking up deer hunting and many older guys are looking for a easier hunt than walking in the big timber and then dragging game out.

This^^. I started seeing a lot of hunters, more than usual in mountains about 10-12 years ago. Then a LOT of 'em started using those damned quads, making more noise in the country. Too many new "hunters" for me. It's why I stopped big game hunting and just chase the upland birds now. Way more relaxing. Until I go after Chukar!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (19rabbit52, 1minute, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 222Sako, 55 invisible), 2,768 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,891
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.