Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp
75 grain swift S2 kills but does not exit on deer pigs into the sholders, 62 grain TSX goes through both shoulders on a deer, not shot a pig with it yet. 6.8 spc, 85 grain TSX kills goes through shoulders, only killed one with this bullet.

This year I am shooting 95 grain TTSX from 6.8 and 62 grain TTSX from 223, but cannot shoot any more big deer on my lease cause my pardners said I kill too many of them.

The quote below is from long range hunting magazine .com. I used their 101 grain .308" bullet to take two deer last year with a .308 Win. Worked like a champ.

Here we go! Two new Hammer Hunters designed to easily mag feed in the Creed. 99g and 110g based on the same form factor design of our new .338cal 213g bullet. Estimated bc on these new 6.5's using the form factor of 1.0 that the 213g .338cal produced out to 1100y comes in at .202 g7 for the 99g and .225 g7 for the 110g. Should be able to easily run the 99g at 3300fps and the 110g at 3200fps in the Creed. Looking at drops calculated at 1000' elev and standard atmosphere the 99g would produce a point blank range of 400y with a zero at 340y and carry 1800fps to 700y. The 110g would have a point blank range of 390y and carry 1800fps to 750y with 3200fps muzzle vel. These bullets are designed for hunting and will retain ~70% on impact. The 99g requires a min twist of 9.5" and the 110g wants a min twist of 8.75", so these guys will run easily in the old 264wm that were built with 9" twist and be super stable in the more common 8" twist that is current. As I have stated before I have come to the conclusion that 1.5sg that is considered fully stable is a min sg for terminal performance. Stability factors over 1.5 have better terminal performance.

My son's 6.5-06 has a 8.5" twist and we will be changing him from the 124g Hammer Hunter to this new 110g Hammer Hunter. We should be able to easily run them over 3400fps. At 3400fps he will have a point blank range of 410y with a 350y zero. He will hold 1800fps to 850y.

Steve
https://hammerbullets.com/

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Ingwe: You might try commenting or posting on things YOU have personal experience with and KNOW about!
The 223 Remington is an amazingly lethal round on Deer and Antelope!
And I know of one dandy Billy Mt. Goat killed with one shot using the 223 Remington.
Proper bullet placement with this round IS critical but easy to do with this mild recoiling and accurate cartridge!
I also know of one 31" trophy Mule Deer Buck that was killed with one shot from a 223 Remington Rifle.
And yes these many examples I know of were done legally and obviously ethically.
Sheesh.
IF... YOU or anyone else has had trouble killing Deer and Antelope with a 223 Remington and good quality Hunting bullets then I suggest YOU/they spend MORE time at your local range.
Hold into the wind
Varmint

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
VG,

You are way off the mark. Ingwe's comment was in jest. He uses the 223 on medium game quite a bit.

Last edited by mathman; 06/07/17.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Ingwe: You might try commenting or posting on things YOU have personal experience with and KNOW about!
And I know of one dandy Billy Mt. Goat killed with one shot using the 223 Remington.
Proper bullet placement with this round IS critical but easy to do with this mild recoiling and accurate cartridge!
I also know of one 31" trophy Mule Deer Buck that was killed with one shot from a 223 Remington Rifle.
And yes these many examples I know of were done legally and obviously ethically.
Sheesh.
IF... YOU or anyone else has had trouble killing Deer and Antelope with a 223 Remington and good quality Hunting bullets then I suggest YOU/they spend MORE time at your local range.
Hold into the wind
Varmint

Now that right there is some classic stuff! Really put old Ingwe in his place. I bet after that he studies up on the .223 for killing deer and whatnot. Heck, maybe he'll even try it out some day.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by borden811
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
Varmint

Now that right there is some classic stuff! Really put old Ingwe in his place. I bet after that he studies up on the .223 for killing deer and whatnot. Heck, maybe he'll even try it out some day.

Thats why I have old Varmintgay on "ignore"...cause syllable-wise, its two thirds of the way to 'ignorant'....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by borden811
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
Varmint

Thats why I have old Varmintgay on "ignore"...cause syllable-wise, its two thirds of the way to 'ignorant'....

Yeah Poobah when are you going to give the little .223 a try? laugh

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by LBP

Yeah Poobah when are you going to give the little .223 a try? laugh

I don't know if I should....can you REALLY kill stuff with them? Are there any decent bullets available? grin

I think I'd better stick to the .223AI for larger game...... wink

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don't know if the regular old .223 can handle critters as big as deer or not. I mean, I loaned my .221 fireball loaded with 45gr tsx to my buddy for his 10yr old daughter this past fall. She killed one of the biggest doe I've ever seen. But, that happened simply because the cartridge has a badass name like "fireball". Plain old .223 would never cut the mustard.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought my Vanguard .223 specifically to try it out on deer, but two thing happened:

1) I found out that my early S2 was in fact a 1-12 twist, not 1-9 and while the 64gr Nosler bonded bullets I loaded were stabilized, they weren't very accurate, and the 55gr TTSXs weren't even on the table, so were unloaded and put back in the box.

2) I started hunting in Virginia, where the minimum legal caliber is .23.

No matter, because the Vanguard is nicely accurate with 40gr Fiocchi factory stuff (and hopefully the 50gr BTs I've got loaded). I might still give it a try on deer on this side of the line for "educational" purposes, but I feel that something a bit larger is better under some situations I might encounter. I'm beginning to think I need a nice, light 6.5 Grendel.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
There's a easy solution to a 1-12" twist Pappy, it's called a 63 gr Sierra SMP. No help for the.23 caliber minimum however.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Everyone is wrong! P. O. Ackley extolled the virtues of the .17" as the ultimate big game killer. Hence, 223 is overkill and unnecessary waste of powder, copper, and lead.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Years ago, I performed deer culling for the USAF with a .223 rifle. Winchester 64 grain soft tip ammo was used but 100% penetration was common so we made the switch to .243 shooting 85 grain Sierra bullets. No more over penetration concerns as this shooting was performed near the active flight lines. Both cartridges are effective for deer killing when double lung shots are taken within reasonable distances. The meat was donated to our own airmen and their families.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have killed several with 70 grain Tsx, always exit and always dead, all out of 8 twist ARs. I consider the 6.8 a good bit better big game round and there are several good bullets out there for the platform. seems most are using ARs for their .223 stick these days, just saying out of that platform there are better options.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 3,025 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,336
Posts18,468,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.