Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
After being discouraged to the point of not looking for it I went to a Gander Mountain going out of business sale, checked their powder selection and all they had were 30 or so containers of Blue Dot and 2 of AR Comp. Plus it was 20% off. I bought two of Blue Dot and one of AR Comp. First testing will be the 243 and then the 10 inch barreled 30-30 Contender. Is there a formulae I could use to get a starting load? There is good 243, 22-250 and 223 data right here on this forum but I want to try it in 30-30 and 6.5 Grendel.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

BP-B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Good stuff..................enjoy...........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
For anyone with any interest....

I have found in my testing, that IMR Blue ( which is readily available) is pretty interchangeable data wise
with the Blue Dot loads I developed...

but as always, use your brain and don't start at max, but work up...

the low end of my data, such as 4 grains of BDot in a 223, seems to hold that they are both pretty much
the same thing....

YMMV tho. so use Blue Dot data as a guideline, again work up, and don't exceed...

and this isn't a clarification, its only an acknowledgement of what has held true in my rifles

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

300 BLK........safe in my RARR........

110 Nozler or V max..........

9 grs of Bluedot...........

nice.....quiet & accurate......

mark the primer with a blue sharpie.......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
How close in charge weights is Blue Dot compared to IMR 4227?

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
ya know Rick....

I haven't compared them, as I haven't had the need to..

however I have burned up a lot of SR 4759, and am still sitting on about 4 Eight Pound Jugs of it...

that data is pretty interchangeable. The old IMR Brown Sheets have data for it...

Blue Dot is a quicker burning powder, and has completely different characteristics

IT IS NOT INTERCHANGEABLE...

but if you look on line, I've posted load data on it, for a boat load of cartridges....

and for the ones I haven't, if you give me the case you're looking at loading with it
I can probably give you parameters...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seafire once told me that a case full, and 60 percent of that case full weight, is a rough "max" for a "no data" workup. The results I've gotten, for BD loads in several 22 cal centerfires with LIGHT bullets, correspond pretty well with that 60 percent suggestion.
You should always work up carefully, a good ways below the "max" as BD is fast, makes stiff pressures, and will make REALLY stiff pressures in a big, scary hurry. Treat it with respect.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Seafire once told me that a case full, and 60 percent of that case full weight, is a rough "max" for a "no data" workup. The results I've gotten, for BD loads in several 22 cal centerfires with LIGHT bullets, correspond pretty well with that 60 percent suggestion.
You should always work up carefully, a good ways below the "max" as BD is fast, makes stiff pressures, and will make REALLY stiff pressures in a big, scary hurry. Treat it with respect.

Amen,

its not for novices or those who haven't been reloading very long.

and it takes good loading discipline at the reload bench to prevent getting a double charge with lighter loads
and it WILL F'UP YOUR RIFLE....

AND SOMEONE'S POOR LOADING TECHNIQUE, ISN'T MY FAULT OR PROBLEM....

ya don't like that, then DON'T USE IT.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Had to try some in my 10" 357 barrel, went from 8.0 grs up to 10 grs pushing a Hornady 158 grain HP. Tackdriver of a load, one ragged hole at 50 yards. I decided to sell the 10" 30-30 barrel as what I am getting from the 357 is really all I need for short range deer hunting. This load is 4 grains less than my old loading with IMR 4227 and is not as loud with the added benefit of not leaving much residue in the barrel.

S
SEM Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think Blue Dot is now absolutely my favorite powder it works so well in so many cases, Plus in low light or the indoor range it has a surprisingly bright yellow flash and smells way better than Trail Boss when burnt, shooting in the indoor range you notice these things. rickt300 I will have a 10" 30 Herrett up soon, and Seafire THANK YOU !

if you want change you have to put in your 2 cents, you can't just sit on the sidelines and whine
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
636 members (257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,945 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.