Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by local_dirt
If he'd decked the one punk who came up behind him and grabbed the rope, the rest of those pussies would have probably backed off. His buddy still had his meat stick in his hand, too.

Saw one under a bridge in MX where I was netting bait a few years back that was a lot bigger than that one.

I've caught hundreds of rays, never intentionally fishing for them, and have never intentionally ate one. They were always bycatch and their appearance on the scene was usually a downer, since it meant a long hard fight and time lost fishing for the targeted species. Probably ate a lot of them masquerading as scallops when I worked in beach seafood restaurants in my yute.

As Roger also mentioned, I've heard many times that they are quite edible.

Lived by Chesapeake Bay for 30 years, and caught many rays, mostly Cow Nose. They tasted like rotted fish. They may be better in pure salt water, as opposed to brackish. I think they deal with the lack of salt in the water, by retaining urea. That would defiantly affect the flavor of the flesh. I cannot tell you how many times somebody would walk by, as I was duck hunting from a shore blind, and give me their opinion of my activity. Apparently, duck hunting on Chesapeake Bay, isn't socially acceptable anymore. Lefties are azzholes.

GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by nemotheangler
... Shooot, I've seen 3, 18 year olds and a keg of beer ride at the same time in the trunk of a 71 Chrysler Newport before...

Ditto with a '69 Plymouth Fury...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
cownose rays are a top choice shark bait here. they are plankton feeders which might be part of the bad taste,

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by stxhunter
cownose rays are a top choice shark bait here. they are plankton feeders which might be part of the bad taste,

Nope on the plankton. The feed primarily on shellfish, razor clams being their favorite. Oysters and crabs are also common food, for them. No plankton. They have a dental pavement of crushers, which are quite powerful.

Last edited by benchman; 05/28/17.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by benchman

Nope on the plankton. The feed primarily on shellfish, razor clams being their favorite. Oysters and crabs are also common food, for them. No plankton. They have a dental pavement of crushers, which are quite powerful.
then these here are different than what you have only way to catch these down her is with nets or snagging them.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yankees go home cry

Great shark bait!!

Last edited by 257Deland; 05/28/17.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by benchman

then these here are different than what you have only way to catch these down her is with nets or snagging them.

Maybe. There are different colloquial names for animals, as well as different prey targeted in different areas. Can even catch them on live bait in the Chesapeake. Cut bait works well, too. Anyways, they taste like crap! If you really want to see the lefties out in force, check out the annual skate mash in Southern Md. They call them skates, but they are Cow Nose Rays. It's a couple day event of bowfishing the Cow Nose. Lotta dead rays/blood, etc. The antis even have drones out harassing the participants. A neat trick, is to include a kid or 2 on the boat. They are not legally allowed to photograph minors. Not that laws stop them...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by hanco
It would be a better world if everyone would mind their own business.

This has my vote for post of the week.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by hanco
It would be a better world if everyone would mind their own business.

This has my vote for post of the week.

X1
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (02bfishn, 1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 64 invisible), 2,505 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,746
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.