24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
When hunting in SK, does the hunter still have to use a solid white cover suit or can snow camo be used? From everything I've read, it must be solid white.

Any recommendations where to get a solid white cover suit? I've checked ebay and run several Google searches, but what I've found appears to be cheap junk.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A painter's suit. Cheap and disposable if it gets torn on barbed wire wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Red, bright yellow and/or orange are also acceptable. Your hat must be one of those three - not white.

I have a white two-piece you can borrow if you don't find anything. Might have a few blood stains on it. whistle

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just looked up the regs - appears a vest is in play now??

It is a violation to:
· hunt big game with a rifle, hunt in
a designated rifle-only season, or
accompany a rifle hunter without
wearing:

~ a vest (an outer garment that
covers the torso) of scarlet,
bright yellow, blaze orange or
white or any combination of
these colours. The vest may
include a small label or crest not
exceeding 100 centimetres² or
15 inches² (3 inches by 5
inches).

~ a high-visibility garment carrying
a Canadian Standards
Association (CSA) label stating
CAN/CSA Z96. This designation
includes Z96-02, Z96-09 or Z96-
15 (indicates the year the
standard was updated). Both
class 2 (vest) or class 3
(coveralls) garments are lawful
hunting apparel.

~ headwear must be scarlet, bright
yellow or blaze orange (white is
not allowed). The headwear may
exceeding 50 centimetres² or 7.8
inches² (2.6 inches by 3 inches).

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SKane
Red, bright yellow and/or orange are also acceptable. Your hat must be one of those three - not white.

I have a white two-piece you can borrow if you don't find anything. Might have a few blood stains on it. whistle

Thank you, I appreciate the offer.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These work. Order in white.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Mens-Lightweight-Coverup-Pants/724999.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dcoverup

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Mens-Lightweight-Coverup-Parka/724998.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dcoverup

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SKane
Just looked up the regs - appears a vest is in play now??

It is a violation to:
· hunt big game with a rifle, hunt in
a designated rifle-only season, or
accompany a rifle hunter without
wearing:

~ a vest (an outer garment that
covers the torso) of scarlet,
bright yellow, blaze orange or
white or any combination of
these colours. The vest may
exceeding 100 centimetres² or
15 inches² (3 inches by 5
inches).

~ a high-visibility garment carrying
a Canadian Standards
Association (CSA) label stating
CAN/CSA Z96. This designation
includes Z96-02, Z96-09 or Z96-
15 (indicates the year the
standard was updated). Both
class 2 (vest) or class 3
(coveralls) garments are lawful
hunting apparel.

~ headwear must be scarlet, bright
yellow or blaze orange (white is
not allowed). The headwear may
exceeding 50 centimetres² or 7.8
inches² (2.6 inches by 3 inches).

Good God almighty, German lederhosen would be simpler!

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
JSTUART;
Good evening to you sir, I trust this finds you and yours well.

I feel that as a born and bred stubble jumper from Saskatchewan I should perhaps put a wee bit of history into our discussion so as the gentle readers from far away shores can perhaps have a modicum of understanding as to how the good folks in the Ministry of Wildlife came up with the whole "hunting suit" scheme.

My late father told me that until the early '60's in much of the province there simply was no big game left - not in the agricultural lands anyway. The moose were always in the Canadian Shield or Boreal Forest areas, as were some remnants of the elk herds and the mule deer were in the southern coulees and river bottoms. Likely the combination of agricultural based feed and no predators led to the whitetail populations booming and along with them the rise of Saskatchewan residents taking up big game hunting.

Now as I recall, hunting in the '60's and early '70's was a much different looking process than now. There was no baiting, no sitting in tree stands or blinds and for that matter no hunting for gender specific animals, much less any thought of a trophy rack. The reverse was actually true on that part of the equation as I recall a couple instances where men got in trouble from their wives for bringing home a "stinky old buck/bull"! laugh

Anyway in our part of east central Saskatchewan the preferred hunting method was "pushing bush" where a group - typically a couple families would hunt together - would form a rough line and walk through wooded slough areas and posted shooters on the other side would shoot everything that ran out the other side.

The colored suits made it easier for the shooters to distinguish the pushers from the pushees I believe.

On that vein I should also add that rifles like the SMLE were considered a good deal because they held 10 rounds and Savage 99's and Winchester 94's were well loved because of the rapid rate of fire. My late father went from an SMLE to a 99 and finally a Winchester Model 100 with a 10 shot magazine because he, like my wife's late uncle Cy, were good enough shots that they held "shooter" positions in the group.

Interestingly the shooters would shoot for the group and the group would tag what had eventually become weighted down with enough lead that it quit running. Some guys hunted for years, never fired a shot but tagged out every season - that's how it was then.

Anyway as always I could go on for some time telling stories of folks who could shoot and those who could not - or perforated moose carcasses that looked like a harrow had fallen on them - but I will just get some morning coffee in me and stop I believe....

All the best to you all down in Australia sir.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Always a pleasure to hear from you Dwayne, I have never heard of anything like that in Australia. Probably because it is extremely difficult to get any two Australians to cooperate for any length of time.
The new Australians seem to manage it but the old blood tends to go it's own way.

In my experience anyway.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AB2506
These work. Order in white.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Mens-Lightweight-Coverup-Pants/724999.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dcoverup

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Mens-Lightweight-Coverup-Parka/724998.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dcoverup

Good God, how did I miss those?

Thank you.

IC B3

M
M
Another stubble jumper from Saskatchewan has to chime in. BC30cal brought back lots of memories about the way we used to hunt but that's not why I'm posting. I thought I'd point out to the OP that any type of pants are okay for big game hunting in Saskatchewan now. You need a vest or jacket of the colours (spelling proves I'm Canadian ;-)) posted above and a hat not white. My cap is orange because they are available in many stores here, if you don't already have a hat.

The regulations say "vest" but a Conservation Officer said that's just the wording and a jacket is good too. The government decided that only the upper body colours matter and deleted the pants requirement.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 81 invisible), 2,754 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,948
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.