Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"Free speech does have limits, such as yelling fire in a theater." What if the theatre is on fire?

Last edited by victoro; 06/16/17.
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by victoro
"Free speech does have limits, such as yelling fire in a theater." What if the theatre is on fire?

That's the most misused quote of the century. There are no limits to free speech under the First Amendment. When you arrest someone for shouting FIRE in a crowded theater, you're not arresting for speech, but for a course of action calculated to bring about harm. It isn't the speech that's being punished by the law, but carrying out the objective of causing harm to others. It's the same as "Stick 'em up" isn't merely speech when it's paired with pointing a gun at someone, followed by a demand for money. That's not a limit on speech, since in any non-criminal context, you're perfectly free to say "stick 'em up" or shout "fire." It's a crime that's being punished by the law, not the speech, and a crime requires both mens rea and actus reus. The actus reus is shouting fire, but the mens raa is the objective of causing a panicked rush for the doors.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by kellory
If he is in a public place, it isn't his space, now is it? Ask a lawyer if that would make any difference. Verbal assault, is still assault. The expletives and personal attacks, are not covered by free speech in the same manner as political opinions. Free speech does have limits, such as yelling fire in a theater. There are consequences for actions, and many of them such as "fighting words" and predictable trigger words such as " the N word" are not covered as free speech. (Talk with a lawyer or judge for any legal advice of course).
Screaming expletives in my wife's face, would be well over that line.

As soon as the big tough guy chest bumped the old guy he invaded the old guys space AND committed a physical assault! At that point the old man had the right to knock him on his ass and I wish he would have. I hate bullies and especially liberal bullies.

Last edited by victoro; 06/16/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by steve4102
Whether or not he has the right of it, screaming expletives into my wife's face like he did her's, would earn him a thorough beating. (And if she declined, I might do it myself.)

LOL, so you think your wife is some kind of special and allowed condone the killing of other Americans under your protection because they differ with her?

Maybe you should take your wife aside and tell he shut the [bleep] up and respect the constitution before you beat the fucjout of her liberal ass yourself.

In truth, I'm likely more of a conservative than you are. I actually took one for the team, and married into a liberal family. I KNOW from long discussions with liberals that they shut down thinking when it gets heated. They are emotion based, not reason based. Screaming at them actually works against you. (I know, I have felt like bashing my own head against a wall a few times.)
Politics aside, I'm talking about behavior, not political ideology. His behavior, not what he says, is the issue. He is clearly looking for a fight. I agree with his stance on the issues, but he has no tact, no manners, and no chance of making his point. It might make him feel better, but it can't do any good. Liberals stop thinking when it gets aggressive.
I can only go by Ohio law since I'm here and if I encountered him it would be here. But if he was packing heat and used it even as a display, he would be doing time. Ohio lost "stand your ground" at the polls a few years ago. He would have the legal obligation to withdrawl if possible. Pulling a gun in a fist fight would be escalating from non-lethal to lethal, again he would be doing time. Even showing the gun as a deterrent could be cited as brandishing. And if the stick is used as a weapon, (sticks and rocks WERE the first lethal weapons) it might even allow for the larger guy to pull his own weapon if he had one, because he would be matching lethal to lethal.force.
I haven't said a word about the politics involved, other than I'm on his side. But his behavior, his delivery is flat out wrong. It is "fighting words" and screaming expletives, and personal attacks from start to finish, and incites a violent response. He needs to control his passions better than he is, or he will find the fight he is looking for.
As for the wife (who you choose to slander) she is a liberal, and as a liberal she has made poor choices over the last 23 years (she said yes to me) and voted for Bill clinton, and obumner. (I counter every vote she makes, so zero sum gain) and I do work to convert her and her family with some small sucess. She did not vote Hillary as she first intended, and I talked her out of sanders as well. She would not come all the way over to join me at Trump, but she did waste her vote on Johnson. (Trump's pussy grabbing comments made that vote impossible.)
Would I defend her if someone got physical during a discussion? Yes, I would.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by victoro
If he is in a public place, it isn't his space, now is it? Ask a lawyer if that would make any difference. Verbal assault, is still assault. The expletives and personal attacks, are not covered by free speech in the same manner as political opinions. Free speech does have limits, such as yelling fire in a theater. There are consequences for actions, and many of them such as "fighting words" and predictable trigger words such as " the N word" are not covered as free speech. (Talk with a lawyer or judge for any legal advice of course).
Screaming expletives in my wife's face, would be well over that line.

As soon as the big tough guy chest bumped the old guy he invaded the old guys space AND committed a physical assault! At that point the old man had the right to knock him on his ass and I wish he would have. I hate bullies and especially liberal bullies.

Glad to see that's how it works in Tejas Victoro, same here in Okiehoma, I wont wait for a chest bump, I see someone coming in on a committed charge, I'll meet em about 3 ft out before they get to close with a fresh delivered knuckle sammich, jimmy johns ain't that fast. grin

Trump Won!
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Gunner gets it, again. Old guy screwed up when he let fat guy into his space. If they can touch you they can hurt you.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The old guy stood his ground, but his style is not a successful sell either. I'm glad he is not selling gun rights.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"Glad to see that's how it works in Tejas Victoro, same here in Okiehoma, I wont wait for a chest bump, I see someone coming in on a committed charge, I'll meet em about 3 ft out before they get to close with a fresh delivered knuckle sammich, jimmy johns ain't that fast. grin"

I told all 3 of my Grandsons that they have the right to defend themselves and if they are ever in a situation where they feel threatened don't wait for the other guy to throw the first punch. The school policy is to suspend both kids if they gets in a fight no matter who starts it. I told them it's better to be suspended a few days instead of getting beat up. My 14 year Grandson followed my advice twice in the 8th grade. The first time was with a big black kid on his football team. The black kid thought it was fun thing to walk up punch the white kids in the upper arm when they weren't looking. This kid punched my Grandson in the left arm at practice and my Grandson used his right hand to knock him on his ass. The coach winked at him and said "Do you want to go see the principal?" The second time one of the big black kid on his basketball team got in his face talking trash in the hallway and my Grandson told him to get out of his face. The black kid pushed back instead so my Grandson let go with a right cross to the jaw and knocked the kid down. That ended the confrontation and none of the black kids ever messed with him again. I have to give credit to my Son for giving him the same advise.

Last edited by victoro; 06/19/17.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
As the Bible says, "Do unto others before they do unto you". If not the Bible, I know someone besides me has said it. wink

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Nitwits all around.

Old guy comes across as an angry old man, not the voice of reason.
He makes it easy for the woman to hold onto her opinion without thinking about any other viewpoint. He Lost!

The woman feels safe and right because she feels she has the "Moral high ground".
Sadly, she didn't hear any compelling information from an opposing viewpoint, just a cranky Old Guy. She lost too...

The Euro boyfriend already left his nuts in the woman's purse but he didn't hit the Old guy(assault) good choice. Still a Loser.

What was the point,
Pick a fight?
Show what a hard azz the old guy is ?

He missed an opportunity to make the liberal gal think though...

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by colodog
Nitwits all around.

He makes it easy for the woman to hold onto her opinion without thinking about any other viewpoint. He Lost!

The woman feels safe and right because she feels she has the "Moral high ground".
Sadly, she didn't hear any compelling information from an opposing viewpoint, just a cranky Old Guy. She lost too...

The Euro boyfriend already left his nuts in the woman's purse but he didn't hit the Old guy(assault) good choice. Still a Loser.

What was the point,
Pick a fight?

You really think you will change a liberals mind, by any means? There is no logical thought process.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by benchman
Nitwits all around.

What was the point,
Pick a fight?

You really think you will change a liberals mind, by any means? There is no logical thought process.

I think there's a lot of people that are closer to the middle, than there are people on polar opposite ends of the discussion.
If the best we've got is shouting down everyone that disagrees with us, how do we convince the people that are on the fence or are curious about other views?

I've never been convinced of the reasonableness of an opposing view when I'm being yelled at. YMMV

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

I think there's a lot of people that are closer to the middle, than there are people on polar opposite ends of the discussion.

I doubt there are many people sitting on middle ground scratching their heads wondering if they would be better off with government controlling every aspect of their lives or having the freedom and the opportunity to chose their own path. That bitch hates the America that old timer grew up in, he knows it and isn't going to waste his time trying to gain her respect.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The only people in the 'middle' are idiots.

You know, that group of undecided voters you see every 4 years on ABC and every week on the back of a bus licking the window.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by benchman
Nitwits all around.

What was the point,
Pick a fight?

If the best we've got is shouting down everyone that disagrees with us, how do we convince the people that are on the fence or are curious about other views?

I've never been convinced of the reasonableness of an opposing view when I'm being yelled at. YMMV

You sound like you are in the middle waiting for someone to show you you are wrong. Get off the fence.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Did that lady vent enough frustration on the old guy..............or is she gonna get the strap on and punish her husband?

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The people in the "middle" are worried about their paycheck or their gay kid.....or their gay kid's paycheck (can sub paycheck for gov subsidy)

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Pat85

I doubt there are many people sitting on middle ground scratching their heads wondering if they would be better off with government controlling every aspect of their lives or having the freedom and the opportunity to chose their own path. That bitch hates the America that old timer grew up in, he knows it and isn't going to waste his time trying to gain her respect.

Bingo!!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 80 invisible), 2,573 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,688
Posts18,456,480
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.