Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Montana

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
BP-B2

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
When I was in AK I was surprised that the people I talked to were not hunters. I asked about bird hunting, nope. Asked about deer, made it sound like once in while. LIke it was more of an event. For people in MI and WI, it is a yearly tradition.

UP and WI you have to wait for black bear. Lots of grouse in UP and N. WI. Deer hunting is a deep tradition in UP and N WI. I don't like WI shorter gun season, but they start bow earlier. But I would rather have longer gun and longer muzzle loader. Some people complain that big ones are not as common. Due to wolves, winter, and we just like to kill everything we can. I just get so excited. I enjoy shooting deer.

I do think it would be cool to be in western states and AK with other game.

I might get board hunting wide open spaces. Last year cut 100 yard lane. I didn't like being so far away.

Last edited by Zerk; 07/21/17.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Daughter sent me a photo of the vehicle map and controls a few minutes ago showing them near Gunison, Co showing outside temp of 58*. DFW is 99*. This is what I'm talking about in my previous post.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JackVliet
I can't stand Oklahoma, sorry about that. Basic training and AIT ruined that state for me. I'm going to take some trips to the Montana Idaho Wyoming areas.

Lawton?

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Lots of cool stuff out west. But can you draw a tag or just buy over the counter, and hunt every year? Nce thing about deer, is you just buy the tag.

I understand protecting resources, but having to wait years, is alot of years not hunting. If you had the money and time, you would be trying all the states lottos.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Zerk,

How many species are draws depends on the western state. Some are pretty much draw even for deer, except bowhunting. I have friends in a couple of western states who rarely draw anything, or maybe one tag every 2-3 years. In other states residents can buy tags for several species over the counter. It primarily depends on how many people live in the state in question, but also on how the game department decides to manage things.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Zerk
Lots of cool stuff out west. But can you draw a tag or just buy over the counter, and hunt every year? Nce thing about deer, is you just buy the tag.

I understand protecting resources, but having to wait years, is alot of years not hunting. If you had the money and time, you would be trying all the states lottos.

In Idaho, yes. If you fail to draw deer or elk, there are lots of OTC tags available although you might have to drive farther to hunt.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Yes Lawton, Fort Sill. I am more interested in being able to get over the counter and hunt every year, than I am about getting the best areas to hunt. To me its about being out there in the wilderness and less about coveted tags and units.
I wouldn't be able to stand only drawing once every 2 to 4 years. I want the most time possible hunting, big game, with a rifle. That's number one for me. Having a couple animals that are tough to draw/lottery type would just be an added bonus.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yes Lawton, Fort Sill. I am more interested in being able to get over the counter and hunt every year, than I am about getting the best areas to hunt. To me its about being out there in the wilderness and less about coveted tags and units.
I wouldn't be able to stand only drawing once every 2 to 4 years. I want the most time possible hunting, big game, with a rifle. That's number one for me. Having a couple animals that are tough to draw/lottery type would just be an added bonus.

Alaska hands down. As a resident your opportunities are virtually endless and one could hunt something 12 months a year. If you want to hunt multiple animals every year like moose, caribou, deer, bear (both brown and black), sheep, goats, etc. there's no place on earth like Alaska. A fellow can hunt animals up there every year that those same critters are once in a lifetime draw down here. For shear time afield and variety of game available to hunt I don't think Alaska has a peer. Your biggest obstacle would be scheduling your flight services ahead of time for all the animals you want to chase. Good luck.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by centershot
Originally Posted by troutslayer
Definitely California!!

+1, Idaho sucks, to many Californians.

BIG TIME.

WAY too may transplants from everywhere else.

Boise was once a nice little town.

That whole valley is a mess, and I avoid going over there like the plague.

If it were me, and I was looking, I would go to Wyoming. Extremely under rated.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
NO!!! It is cold here, no services.. BAD PLACE!!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it wasn't for the politics I'd have moved to Vermont a long time ago.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

13F here. 1983.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Zerk

In Idaho, yes. If you fail to draw deer or elk, there are lots of OTC tags available although you might have to drive farther to hunt.

I wouldn't want to live in a state I couldn't hunt every year.

The idea of having different zones is a western thing, other than bear. But around here it is common to have a camp, you hunt out of it every year. It is something I really enjoy. I do get the pleasure of hunting different areas.

For me, I'd want to be able to hunt deer every year, and apply for tags. Maybe if I got something else I wouldn't hunt for deer. But I would probably go visit family for atleast a weekend or so.

Even with bear being by zone, residents in good zones can get late period pretty much every year, maybe earlier. Every other or so for earlier.

I do get the idea of it being a thrill to hunt something you don't get to hunt every year. I want to do it myself. I think I should just move out west for a few years, on contract, and hunt a bit.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Big game you can hunt every year, OTC as a resident somewhere in Alaska:
moose, caribou, black bear, brown bear, mountain goat, dall sheep, elk, Sitka blacktails, wolf.

Big game you have to draw for or hunt tough places:
Bison, musk ox

Alaska is the best place for a number of seaducks and such... only seven native species of grouse, readily available. Arctic and varying hares... swans...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've hunted SD most of my life, except time in USMC. Whitetail hunting is fantastic. Pheasant hunting is fantastic. PD is good. Coyote is good.
Hard to get elk licenses. Antelope hunting is good.

Montana seems to be outstanding in my opinion.

I've hunted in AZ, CO, WY, TX, MO, NY, IA, MT, NE, SD, ID, and I'm probably missing one or two. Lately I'm getting out of state permits in WY for whitetail and Elk.

I really want to hunt AK.

I'm retiring in SD. I have whitetail, coyotes and pheasants on my property-all I need.

But if I didn't have so many ties here, I'd consider WY, MT, AK and ID - not sure. The main reason for not all out MT is public land, but I'm not an expert regarding MT.

TX is out due to $$$$$'s the Texan's want to step on their property.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Fister here as well PaulBarnard.

Alaska really sounds fantastic. It would just be harder getting back for family things, and for them to go there. That is the biggest thing holding me back at all. I'm very close to my family and we're all here in Michigan.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hope to get to WY or MT someday. The mothers are getting to be senior senior citizens....................

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oklahoma:
Antelope
Elk
Mule Deer
White Tail
Black Bear
Pheasant
Dove
Bob White
Tiberdoodles

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Montana! That's why I just relocated to the state.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
711 members (12344mag, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 86 invisible), 2,655 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,691
Posts18,399,843
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.